Shopping in Hong Kong... is it cheaper?

mihir_shah

Hi guys,

My brother is visiting Hong Kong for couple of days and can pick up stuff for me. My question is simple...

is hong kong a cheaper place to buy radio-slaves (pw's), studio flash systems or even camera's (canon)

rather then US? If yes, could you suggest a few places or where do i look for good deals on original stuff.

thanks in advance.

Danny - You are right about products being cheaper where they are made. I am not sure

abt where Pocket wizards are made. And now a days, with everything being made in

China.... one never knows.

John - That was a good deal. Did macro come with warranty? Could you let me know

where did you pick it up from. Plus what are the chances someone would dump a non

genuine product on my brother, since he is not a photog-enthusiastic and will just pick up

what is told to him. thanks.

I am also looking at good deals on Canon bodies, so if you guys know any shops.. I

appreciate your help. thanks once again.

The two that I recommend for they are more honest are:

1. Wing Shing Photo Supplies Co Ltd.,

G/F, 55-57 Sai Yeung Choi Street, Mongkok, Kowloon, Hong Kong.

G/F, 91-95 Fa Yuen Street, Mongkok.

2. Man Shing Photo Supplies Co Ltd,

G/F, 104-106 Tung Choi Street, Mongkok.

This is where the locals and when I am visiting shop. Stay away from the shops in TST district, tourist traps.

Accessories are easy to knock off but camera bodies and lenses are harder. In HK there are two version, official HK imports and non-official HK imports. Since you are not in HK it doesn't matter to you. You will be trying to deal with your country's warranty policy.

I would buy PW's where you are for there are different frequencies for different region of the world. There is also a very high chance that he can be taken for a PW knock-off.

If your brother is visiting friends or with friends see if there is anyone who knows about photography who can go along. There is usually a qouted price and there might be a lower price if they can sense you are serious. Send your brother photos of the box and have him hold the photo in his hands as he is shopping.

• 6 months later...
...well, if you want to buy PW, the price in Hong Kong is about 10% less. But, you have to make sure the version you need, coz there is 2 versions in PW's Multimax and Plus II, respectively - US or EU. In Hong Kong, only the EU version is legal coz the frequency issue. Thus, you'd better to check if you can use it in the States. Beside, if you have a US version, all you need in the furute will be US compatible. Hope it helps..!!