example work from www.dr5.com

debejyo

HI guys,

I have seen discussion on the website www.dr5.com regarding E-6 processing of

b&w negatives. However, no one shared any pictures. I'm curious to see how these

interesting effects look like. Can anyone post some example pictures?

Thanks,

Not sure what you're asking about. I don't think DR5 will process B&W film in E6 chemicals. They WILL process B&W film in their custom DR5 B&W reversal process which ends up as a positive slide. If you go to their web site and click on Film Review then select a film type you can see 1 or 2 samples created with that particular film type.

thanks guys, for the pictures and correcting me. It was my mistake that I confused you all. I admit its not E6 I wanted to know. I was just keen on getting a slide out of pictures shot on negatives.

Derek, I saw your pictures. They are indeed nice. I would want to know what do you feel special about this kind of processing? I mean, is the contrast improved, grain reduced, or whatever, good or bad. Since I do not have a standard to compare your pictures to, can I ask you to explain the difference that you have noticed? I presume the sepia pictures were from some sepia negative.

Thanks a lot once again for all the help.

Hi.

The link i provided above was not for my pictures. That was just a search on flickr with the

criteria "DR5." I have NO personal experience with the DR5 process. The only similar

experience i have is with Agfa Scala film, which yields b+w positive 'chromes.'

I used to like Scala's look, but i was never happy with how they translated via scanner. But,

that was more than a few years ago, when i was using a different scanning device. I

haven't tried it since. But, at present, i'm happy with conventional b+w films - Tri-X,

especially.

If you were talking about pictures specifically shown on my personal website, none of

them were made with either DR5 or Scala. Any sepia toned images on my website were

toned in photoshop. I believe there are ways to tone the actual negatives, but it isn't often

done. Typically/traditionally, toning is done on a print, made from a black+white negative.

There aren't any inherently sepia negatives. Some negatives, from C-41 process b+w

emulsions, like XP2, will have a color caste, but it is usually blue, purple, or reddish. If you

print with these negatives on color paper, you'll get a color tone, unless you correct

against it. If you print with these negs on b+w paper, you'll not get a tone. I imagine the

same is true of the DR5 process. The negatives become positives, with a 'built-in' tone.

You can print them that way, or correct them so they are neutral.

You should probably send an email to the DR5 people. They are very good at explaining

the process and giving information toward arriving at your objectives. Note that the DR5

process sometimes changes the effective ISO of the film. They have recommendations for

the 'proper' way to rate various films.

Hi Debejyo,

I've used DR5 several times over the years and I've gotten great results. You can look in my portfolio for some examples. The China pictures and Oakland Zoo pictures are all B&W DR5. I've had various 35mm and 6x6 film processed with DR5 and I'm very happy with the results. However, my scanner doesn't really do justice to the original slides. I haven't done much with film in a while now (mostly due to lack of time) but I hope someday to get back into it and maybe try 4x5".