upstate NY

dinesh.godavarty

hey guys,

I need to make a family trip to upstate NY (not far from the Adirondacks)

around the 20th of this month. I know it's not spring completely and the leaves

and flowers might not be coming out at that time, However, since I am making a

trip, might as well take some pictures.

Any nice locations in the Adirondacks where I can take pictures of waterfalls

and streams? I will only have 2 days at most. So need to be very efficient with

my time.

Thanks all.

Thatcher Park is nice, but its a good two hour drive from the Adirondacks.

Where in the Adirondacks will you be? Keep in mind that the Adirondack Park is the worlds largest land preserve - so you need to be a little more specific about your destination.

You will definitely be ahead of spring flowers. In fact, it is possible that there will still be snow on the ground. What we call "mud season".

As a proud 48-year resident of Upstate New York, I have to tell you that you're going to find that spring has just barely started to sneak in to the Utica area - let alone the Adirondacks, to the north and higher up - by April 20. There will be more mud than flowers.

However, much of the Adirondack area nearest Utica is evergreen forest, so you might get some nice woods-and-mountains landscapes by driving north and then northeast on Route 28, to the "Fulton Chain" lakes country (through the little towns of Old Forge, Eagle Bay, Inlet, Raquette Lake and Blue Mountain Lake). To the farthest point (Blue Mountain Lake) and back is about a 180-mile, four-hour roundtrip from Utica. With stops it could make for a nice day. Old Forge has one of the world's greatest hardware-and-housegoods stores - worth a look whether you think you need anything or not. There are numerous scenic turnouts with lake views along the way, lots of little side roads, and short (and longer) trails into the woods. Bald Mountain (between Old Forge and Eagle Bay) is an easy climb with great lake views. On the way back you might check out the "back route" from Raquette Lake to Eagle Bay - the Uncas Road, which I believe is still dirt (and may be mud in April).

If you're used to the Rockies or some such, you'll find that the Adirondacks look more like hills to you - lower, gentler, more rounded. But we love them just the same. And the lakes make the setting quite beautiful.

An alternative is the fine, rolling farm country south of Utica. You could make a loop to and from Cooperstown, as Charles suggests. Otsego Lake is beautiful (it was the setting for Glimmerglass in James Fenimore Cooper's books) and Cooperstown itself is a fine little gem. (Cool Farmer's Museum, if such might appeal to you.) A nice loop would be to follow Route 28 south of Utica to Cooperstown - then return via Route 80 north to Springfield, then Route 20 west to Route 8 at Bridgewater, then Route 8 back to Utica. Again, a half-day's drive round trip.

Enjoy!