DXO EF 28-135 comparison to EF 24-105L

henry_bennett

I presently have a EF 28-135 that I use on my 40D and 5D. I am very pleased

with the result that I get on both cameras. I am particularly pleased with the

results I get when applying DXO PRO to images from the 5D with the EF 28-135.

It appears that the lens corrections and viginetting control are more pronouced

when processing images from the 5D compared to 40D. The IQ improvement for the

5D EF 28-135 combination are so dramatic, that I was wondering if anyone has

compared DXO treated images from the 5D with a EF28-135 to a 5D with EF 24-

105L combination. I was wondering if the DXO treatment brings the EF 28-135 up

to the IQ of an untreated DXO EF 24-105L image. It would also be intresting to

compare DXO treated images from both combinations. This may influence my

decison to upgrade in the future.

Thanks in advance for any info regarding this.

Henry B

Hopefully you may find someone else here who is using DXO. At least some may be able to comment on the benefits of some similar functionality available in DPP (soon to be increased in coverage as DPP 3.3 gets released for more cameras - currently it ships with the Rebel XSi/450D), or using tools such as PTLens for your 5D and 28-135 combination. DXO popularity is limited by their aggressive copy protection scheme that bypasses the operating system - which even applies to evaluation versions, as I understand it. I'd want to have a machine dedicated to DXO if I was going to use it.

Caveats aside, I agree that these software tools can be very useful in dealing with CA and vignetting, and with correcting for distortion (though there are some limitations on interpolated image quality where distortion is more severe).

<p>I don't use DXO so I can't comment on how its processing applies to these two lenses. And I don't use a 5D so I can't comment on that, either.</p>

<p>I currently use the 24-105 (among other lenses) on my 20D. I bought this lens to replace the 28-135. I use PTLens to fix curvilinear distortion and <abbr title="chromatic aberration">CA</abbr>. Both before and after correcting these, the 24-105's images have more snap than those from the 28-135. It's simply a better lens.</p>

<p>As far as comparing an untreated 24-105 image to a treated 28-135 image, well, it depends. Some images need more treatment than others, depending on focal length, aperture, subject distance, lighting conditions, and aspects of the subject such as whether there are any high-contrast transitions where CA is noticeable. For an image in which distortion and/or CA are objectionable, I'd take the treated 28-135 image over an untreated 24-105 image. For an image in which distortion and CA are not significant impairments to image quality, I'd take the untreated 24-105 image, as it will likely be sharper. But really, this isn't a comparison I'd make; if I'm choosing between both lenses and have the ability to treat images from either lens, then I'm not going to choose between treating images from a lesser lens vs. using untreated images from a better lens; I'm going to choose the better lens, and would treat images as needed regardless of which lens I used.</p>

There's quite a lot of sample variation with the 28-135. I've seen anecdotal reports that the copies packaged with the 40D kits are significantly better than those originally released in 1997. Early tests painted it as a lackluster choice in that range, but my kit copy has proven far better than expected.

<p>

See here: <a href=http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1029&thread=26539485>DPReview crop</a>

<p>

Default JPEG sharpening on that shot, and it's even across the frame on the 40D. I have little inclination to spring for the 24-105/4L when the 28-135 is that good. DXO may improve it further, but for lack of a copy, I can't be much help in finding out.

<p>

DI

I used to use DXO 4 with great success however DXO 5 has been severely disappointing, I've now switched to lightroom.

That said, Mark what's the "aggressive copy protection" you're referring to? I know the software needs activating, ala CaptureOne but I have no problems with this? (I have plenty of other problems with version 5 though)

Thank you all for you thoughts and comments. I certainly enjoy the results I am presently getting from the Ef 28-135 + 5d + DXO. My future purchase of an EF 24-105L may depend more on the build quality and long term value rather than the debatable post processing IQ improvement.

Thanks again.