EF 24-105 f/4L IS vs. EF 50 f/1.8 and EF 85 f/1.8

baivab

Hi - Considering buying the kit with 5D having 24-105 f/4L IS. As *IS* I can

effectively *get away* with a less f-stop (virtually). I understand this. The

statement i made here for consideration of low-light situations. I also

understand, numerous reports suggest vignetting/barrel-effects at wide-angle for

this lens. However, I am more concerned about:

<br> Assuming I don't really shoot at wide-angle and prefer 50 mm. so, I think

when I frame I'll be mostly using this lens at around the 50 mm. mark.

<br> Also, I'll use this for some quick portraits - indoor & outdoor, which

again means around 85 to 100 mm.

<br> Only in few cases, will I go going wide.

<br> With these assumptions, is it worth buying still the 24-105 in the kit? The

reason is I already have a 50 and a 85. I think not, but at the same time,

considering how much 5D is sensitive to dusts, etc. switching from 50 to 85 or

vice-versa is an issue, I think. Convineance - yes, definitely the zoom has a

tremendous adv., but if I consider image and picture quality of the zoom at 50

and 85 - will I be loosing much, in comparison to primes? I don't really shoot

at low-light, i.e. bars, nightclubs, etc. and indoors I use a flash - so ability

of low-light for primes is good, but secondary. Also, 5D goes upto ISO 800

without almost any degradation - so, the zoom might work fine.

Marco - I considered that option. But here's my problem. If I do get the kit, I'll start to use it and 'cause of the conv. factor, not consider primes (sitting in my Lowerpro bag) 99% of the time. Effectively, where the primes would have been much better - in terms of image quality - I'll miss out. So, permit me to re-phrase my query, since I think I should clarify myself - in which situations should I be considering the afore-mentioned primes, in order to get a better composed "shot"? Also, keeping at about the same focal length, will the zoom match the image quality of the prime (assuming NOT low-light situation)? 1 thought that comes to my mind - primes will give better bokeh (background blur) in case of true portraits. But what about color rendition and sharpness?

Baivab,

I understand your dilemma, but I'd approach the question a little differently...

...I can save $x00 by not buying the kit, but I'm loosing range from 24 to 50 mm and from

85 to 105mm. What is that extra wide and long range worth to me? If it's more than $x00,

buy the kit, if not just buy the body.

Personally, I wouldn't give away the wide end, but I like wide. Sometimes, you can't step

back from the subject.

Ken - yes, but if I do consider the "wide" factor, maybe a 17-40 would be even better? Basically, if I did NOT have the 2 primes, I would have DEFINITELY opted for the kit (and maybe in about a month later - the 50 mm., since it's only $90). But since I already have the 2 primes - just wondering ... Maybe, buy the kits and sell the 85? [Frankly, would hate to do so, since I bought the 85 at $240.00 used almost new from B&H]

I agree with Marco. Presumably the kit is cheaper than buying the 5D and the 24-105 separately. In which case, if you dont like the zoom you can sell it and not lose out financially. Think of it like a free trial!

The 24-105L, 50/1.8 and 85/1.8 are my three main lenses on my 400D. Image quality wise, I find the zoom is pretty much as good as the primes in the centre. However the zoom lags behind at the edges, where the 85 is still lovely and crisp. Really good primes like the 85 do tend to spoil you somewhat.

Okay, my reasoning is as follows:

<br> Buy the kits, start using it. It gives GREAT snaps. However, in certain <b>(?)</b> situations, take out your prime and use it, since it'll be better.

<br> In case you're going bankrupt, you can always start by selling off the 24-105, then your 85 and then your.... You'll get almost the whole price back (not considering body) esp. since you've a Mk.I 50 mm.

<br><b> My question is how to understand the (?) I wrote here?</b> Any leads, advice - highly appreciated.

<br> Or maybe, there's no such (?) - just believe you can switch primes with little to no dust and quickly and you're good to go. If really wide is required, rent or buy a prime:24 mm. (?) or a 17-40 (?) later.

<br> In that case, PROFESSIONALS - please share your thoughts how best to switch primes quickly, effectively with little to no damage. I just can't seem to manage it alone!

"IS or no, f4 is too slow IMO." <br> So, in cases of low-light and assuming a 50 or a 85 is framing well, the prime's something which ought to come out of the bag and enter the body to shoot a nice image using the low light. How about then, the ability of 5D to really go up the ISO chain with little detectable noise artifacts?

Don't worry so much about switching lenses. Thats why you have an SLR. Just don't do it on a

beach in a sand storm. I usually point the camera down when I switch and just do it

somewhat quickly. But in all reality even if you do get some dust inside it can usually be

cleaned very easily.

'Bout switching lens - take it off the body, cap the back, place it back into the *jar*, take out the other lens, remove the back cap, place in the body. All this while, the body is exposed. Just thinking - am I doing it right?

As Tommy says, that is why you have an SLR. Invest in a sensor cleaning kit too. Don't do it in a sandstorm.

In my opinion the f/4 L zooms and fast primes make a great combo. That way in good light you aren't carrying around a big zoom around that you don't need, and can pop on the prime when you want shallow DOF.

<p>The 24-105 is really quite good at 50mm. I have the 50mm f/1.4 and it can be a bit sharper at

small apertures, but generally an insignificant bit.

<p>I like Jonny Mac's answer - the f/4 zooms are great, and you can get even better low light and

narrow DOF performance from primes when/if you need it.

<p>One other thing to keep in mind relative to "image quality" is that the somewhat better IQ of

some of the better primes diminishes in comparison to the zooms if you need to crop the shots with

primes. If you think that maximum IQ/resolution is significant, you can probably get a bit more of it

from the primes <i>if your shot can be framed exactly such that you won't have to crop.</i> If you

need to shoot at 55mm or 60mm to frame the composition correctly, you'll perhaps get a

comparable or better result from a zoom than from a cropped shot with the prime.

<p>Dan

Look at it this way, accept you need a zoom and primes, get the 24-105 and sell it then buy the 24-70 f/2.8 instead. Then you will have to switch lenses less than with the f/4 zoom as the f/2.8 is faster. With the 5d you can always crop in to get the same FOV effect as the 24-105.

Baivab:

That 24-105 is a very handy lens to have. If you can afford it in the kit, get it. If it's a stretch, then by all means buy the body alone. You would then have lot's of choices for upgrading to zoom later, like 24-20 2.8, or any of the fast Sigma/Tamron lenses in that range for about half the price.

Never sell those primes! Makes no sense. The 85 1.8 is probably the best bang for the buck in the canon lens line. And the 50 1.8 is a no brainer at it's low price.