Amazing Lighting video

Would have been nice to see the finished photos. There is some interesting information presented such as...

Pocketwizards on each light and a piece of red tape on the antenna of the transmitter to make it stand out. I thought I was the only one to do that.

C-stands only and a boom for the beauty light placed simply overhead above the camera.

Sand bags, always

Always bring your own power, either a generator or batteries.

A Honda 3000 generator has a pure sine wave and enough power to run a Profoto 1200ws power pack.

600 ws per head is NOT enough power for 2 effective rimlights with 7" reflector when shooting outdoors in sun at f 14 and an unspecified ISO.

And people DO use tighter f-stops such as f-14. Not everything is shot wide open?

Garbage bags to place over the strobes if it rains.

A mohawk hairdo and soul patch seems to be a good choice when you're shooting alternative bands or just working for record companies.

It's nice that he took the time to share what it's like behind the scenes.

I agree with wanting more ambient light. That type of high-contrast lighting is too artificial for my taste. I wouldn't want to shoot at f/14 on a zoom lens. I prefer the f/4 to f/8 range since most lenses aren't constructed to be its best at an extreme f/stop like that.

David,

Thanks for sharing your find with us and, of course, thanks to the photograher who created it. The video did have some real meat to it, unlike so much that's out there. I particularly liked how he reminded us that overpowering sunlight requires lots of Watt-seconds and that small apertures result. It also adds fuel to the you-don't-need-a-flash-meter-with-digital fire. Good stuff. Thanks again.

Thanks to Martin Prihoda for sharing his gig with us. I like what he said in the end about the best way of getting ahead was by helping others get ahead and that there enough work to go around. That's the spirit.

That said and hindsight being 20/20, I would have rigged a silk overhead to cut down on the hard sunlight and scrimmed the background between the band and the building. This allows for larger apertures and less flash power to be used but it calls for more grip work.

In the end, it is the photographer's call. Just thought that there may be more than one way of doing it.

Oh, I think the red tape was put on by the rental house that Martin rented his gear from.

The red tape on the aerial/antennae comes from the rental house. Notice the same red tape around the handle of the Profoto 7b.

I would not have done that. It takes labor and time to set up an overhead. And what would he do if he decided he did not like the position of the overhead? Collapse the overhead, remove the sandbags, move the overhead, ... Much easier to rent a powerful head.

I wonder about what sort of hairspray was used that allowed the band to look good in the rain! A big scrim overhead would not only have helped with the light it could have been wrapped in clear poly and kept the rain off. It would have been more gear and more staff, incredible hairspray is probably cheaper.

Yeah, he dissed his Minolta Autometer, but I notice he had it with him on the shoot!

I liked what he got out of the shoot, and I do appreciate seeing how he pulled it off. Seeing the location in the video, and then seeing the final photos, I wouldn't have thought it was the same place. More shots from this session are on his website, which is worth a look. (martinprihoda.com)

Van