Contact Printing 8x10

j. f.

Would be very interested to know what size paper you contact print 8/10

negatives on. Do you use 8/10 paper, print with a border or not, or even print

the image centered on a larger sheet, e.g. 8/10 centered on 9.5/12 paper? I ask

this because I'm trying to decide what size contact print frame to get, they

come in different sizes: 8/10, 10/12, 11/14. The best quality/value seems those

sold by Bostick and Sullivan: http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/cart/home.php?cat=38

I've used both 8x10 and 11x14 paper sizes for contact printing 8x10 negatives,

depending on what I had on hand at the time. It's obviously more expensive to use the

larger sizes, but the larger sheets allow more latitude with borders and don't require such

precise registration when joining the negative with the printing paper.

However, if you are only contact printing using normal silver B&W enlarging papers you

will not need a traditional contact print frame. A simple heavy sheet of glass (1/4" is

good) placed directly on top of the negative/paper is sufficient to keep both in perfect

registration during the short exposure time. And a simple sheet of glass is much easier to

set up than a contact print frame.

Most people don't realize that traditional hinged-back contact printing frames, while very

pretty and nostalgic, are only necessary when using many of the alternative printing

materials, like platinum/palladium. These materials allow periodic inspection of the image

while it is forming on the print surface during the much longer exposure times. The

hinged back on the frame allows the exposure to be interrupted, the negative and paper to

be separated for inspection of the print on one side, while not disturbing the registration

of the overall print when continuing the exposure.

Projection speed B&W enlarging papers do not form the image on the paper until it is

placed in the developer solution after the exposure is complete. These papers do not

require the use of the more complicated and expensive hinged-back traditional contact

print frame since there is no need to inspect the print during the exposure process. Of

course, if you like the look and feel of a contact print frame, and don't mind spending the

money, then using one when contact

printing with regular enlarging papers is fine.

Yes, The Lotus frame does look very well made and pleasing to the eye! Thanks for the link and all the advice. Still trying to decide what size frame to get though, and wondering what others use for 8/10.

Seems that an 8/10 frame would be too small because some papers are not made in this size and I couldn't have any real border around the image. Having said this Azo comes in this size. A 10/12 frame would allow a border around the negative and a wider choice of papers. I'm was leaning towards this size frame. But then I find out that some papers only come in either 8/10 or 11/14. (http://www.bergger.com/inter/neutral.html).

Seems that if I wish to keep the paper options open without having to cut them down to size myself, perhaps a frame that covers the largest sheet (11/14) would be best. But maybe this would make centering the negative on a smaller sheet more difficult, which would suggest a frame should be dedicated to a certain paper size. Decisions, decisions...perhaps all I need is a heavy sheet of glass until I have my presentation sorted out.

8x10 works great. As for contact frames, if you have an old local camera store see what they

have laying around. I just picked one up for ten bucks. Essentially a hinged piece of heavy

glass laying on to a rigid back with a thin foam cushion. The 8x10 size was extremely

common when making 35mm negs into a contact sheet. They are plentiful in the used

departments. And as mentioned above, up to 8x10 works great in a simple heavy glass

frame. Above that you probably want to think about vacuum frames and such.