Macro Photography

Apurva Madia

Add on diopters work if they are well made two element ones. The common problem is to detirmine if they cover the range you want to work in and if they will mount on your lens at the proper distance from the front element.

60 and 105 work from infinity to 1:1 seamlessly. The add on diopters only cover certain ranges.

Do not know your intended subjects, but the 60 is better for a D40, 105 for full frame. Neither will autofocus unless you get the latest G series lenses. D40 does not have the coupling for AF S lenses.

Apurva,

I know that I suggested using a diopter in one of your previous posts. This would still be my suggestion for someone just starting in macro photography and I agree with previous comments.

Using a closeup attachment on a zoom lens has real advantages that people often overlook. It is VERY difficult to frame your macro subject and adjust your tripod without accidentally throwing the subject out of focus. If you use a zoom lens you can zoom in and out on your subject. Life is much easier, especially for a beginner. If you try this in the field you will realize what I am talking about.

Along with a 72mm Canon 500D closeup attachment you should get a GOOD tripod. Macro work means using a tripod. In order to get adequate depth of field closeup you will be shooting at f16 and higher a lot. This means using slow shutter speeds that you cannot hand hold (even with VR). Also, small movements will cause your subject to go out of focus. Sturdy support is critical.

The good part about spending money on a tripod is that it will be useful to you even if you decide you don't like macro photography. If you buy a macro lens and decide you hate macro, well...

> "Neither will autofocus unless you get the latest G series lenses. D40 does not have the coupling for AF S lenses."

Ronald - you need to stop giving advice on what autofocuses on the D40. If memory serves, you seem to usually get it wrong. ;-) ;-)

The D40x (and D40, D60) *will* autofocus with ALL Nikon AF-S (and AF-I) lenses. That's all any D40x owner needs to know. AF-S/AF-I = good. All others = manual focus. The D40x will not autofocus with all G series lenses, because many G lenses are *not* AF-S. And not all AF-S lenses are G lenses.

The AF-S 105/2.8G Micro-Nikkor is AF-S (it also happens to be G), so it will autofocus on the D40x.

Back to the original question, diopters such as the Canon 500D are an excellent way to get your feet wet with macro photography to see if you enjoy it. If you do, you may want to eventually get a dedicated macro lens, but the Canon 500D is an inexpensive way to find out.

Dave L. - I agree with your comments about using a zoom lens with diopters, or even just the one 500D diopter. However, although I own a few tripods, I don't think it's always necessary to use a tripod for macro photography, not with digital cameras that can use high ISOs and VR lenses. Nor is much DOF always necessary.

Although I often carry a tripod with me, I rarely employ a tripod for close-up photography. In fact, I doubt I've used one for the past couple of years. That's just me, and it's just for nature and travel subjects, which are why I like to photograph.<div>00P4nv-42765184.thumb.jpg.e0d2be84843c32430638593427330e24.jpg</div>

If you are not too serious, you can use just about any lens with an el-cheapo set of extension tubes. However, you'll get no metering and focusing is of course manual.

This shot below was with that AFD 50mm f1.8 which everyone talks about, plus a no frills set of $10 tubes.

And don't believe this non-sense about never using f22.<div>00P4r2-42766184.jpg.6e49456e7234a1816c4c3a4ed4a86d26.jpg</div>

Others can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the magnification ratio is calculated is: 200mm/500mm = .4. So, an incremental improvement to roughly 1:2 magnification for a lens (18-200) that already has a pretty close minimum focusing distance.

I honestly don't know if that incremental gain is enough to warrant what may become an interim macro solution -- your call.

I'd say try close-ups with a "naked" 18-200mm first, and if that doesn't meet your needs AND IF you have the money, then get a 1:1 macro lens.

Keith,

I think that equation only holds up for fixed focal length lenses. My research has shown that using a 500D diopter will take you from "roughly" 1:4 magnification to 1:2 magnification. To me, this is far more important that the difference from 1:2 to 1:1 as much of the macro I enjoy is at about 1:2 (flowers, nature, etc).