Seeking recommendations laptop monitor approaching Eizo color

I work on an Eizo color edge monitor and a Dell Inspiron 9300 and I color calibrate

with the eyeOne.

I have tried calibrating the laptop and for me the results are not usable. So I have

almost gotten used to the habit of working tethered in my office. However, I very

much would like to use a laptop in the field for post-processing. My reference is

the Eizo ColorEdge monitor, calibrated.

Are there laptops approaching the dynamic range and calibration capabilties of the

Eizo? It seems recently that laptop screens have improved.

I have a significant software investment in Windows machines and do not want to

make the cut to Apple. Any advice is appreciated.

Well if your reference is a calibrated Eizo ColorEdge, laptop screens will make you want to hide under a rock.

Laptop monitors are optimized for three things :

- looking good in the shop

- highest brightness for watt for longer battery life

- cost

Whereas your Eizo is optimized for color accuracy at the expense of power, mass, bulk, and cost, which is a completely opposite engineering tradeoff.

I have never got good colors out of the laptop...

Why are you comparing a high end monitor with a laptop display? Wishful thinking?

Leaving Apple out of the equation immediately puts you behind the eight ball. Not, that

Apple has a laptop to rival an Eizo monitor, but, if any laptop did, who do you think

would have it first?

Thanks for answering. Yes, I realise I will never have an equivalent experience. But I want to be able to use the laptop in the field. With the Inspiron 9300, any display or edting of the photograph is impossible. I would like, for example, to be out of the studio to meet a client and show them toned proofs for selection, or to shoot tethered or transfer a shoot quickly to the digital workflow, apply some quick presets and show the client what we are working on, to relax them or guide them midway through a shoot.

The Inspiron 9300 (even "calibrated" with the eyeone) looks like mud.

Therefore I am looking for practical recommendations for a laptop that can be used professionally without shame. I am an Apple fan, but switched to Windows before making a big investment in the software, so my aversion to Apple is not one of these weird Apple vs Wintel evangelisms. But someone must be making professional LCD dispalys for wintel, right?

Patrick, I don't understand your response. Do you have a recommendation for a brand and model you can confirm has a workable screen?

:) I don't need help trashing my current machine, I need help finding a new one :)

i tought you get the concept...

NO laptop monitor are good for professional work or i should say good for serious job. They are depending of the brand, better than others, like my macbook pro have a good one but i have to put it on a stand to be at a perfect viewing angle + i dont do any critical job on it, i could start the retouching, but eveything will have to go to my main station with calibrated monitor before going to a client for sure. And comparing a cheap lcd screen to a eizo, nec or even a apple cinema display is a non sense.

You want good result everywhere with your laptop? buy another Eizo at your studio, at your house, at your camping etc...or live with the fact that having just a laptop, whatever brand you have will give you OK result for a lots of application, but just not as good as a external monitor.

Thanks for the clarification. It confirmed my fears. My search for an alternate solution started with construction work that has made my studio a work site. Carl, I guess I will try and rent a mac to try it out, but I cannot really campout in a store trying out my whole workflow (at least not in Sweden). Anyway, thanks both for returning to the thread to clarify.

Brgds,