Shooting with two bodies - Strap Question/advice needed

penn10

I am sure many of wedding photographers here shoot with two bodies (each with

lens attached). What do you use for strap?

I recently tried having two bodies, one permanently on my neck, the other on my

right shoulder. The one on the neck is not a problem, but the one on the

shoulder, the strap is too short, so I constantly have to unload the camera

from the should and basically hold it in my hand. When done, put it back on the

shoulder. Not an easy and quick transition between two bodies.

How do you do this? Special straps? Put the other one in a bag that you carry?

Thanks for any advice!

Frank

I use Upstrap. Excellent strap, never has even hinted of slipping off my shoulder. 100% worry

free when using that strap. last year was D200 with 17-55 and a D200 with 70-200. This

year, D300s, same lenses, but going to be using boda bag with hip strap for the 70-200

body/lens, and the 17-55 is going to be on the shoulder. hopefully that will greatly reduce

some weight stress...

We use this strap - best concept and best ease of use.

<p>

<a href=http://www.blackrapid.com/>Black Rapid Strap</a>

<p>

It also solves the problem of the regular strap getting in the way of vertical shops. Very easy to remove as well to use the camera with no strap.

I would love to shoot with two bodies because my main body will be 60 this June and if I

could take all that I've learned and transfer it into a 20 or 30 year old body, I could really

be a great photographer! Or at least be quicker and see better!

I take several camera bodies to each gig but only keep one with/on me. Certain times I

may need another body and I will go get it, I usually know it in advance because of my

psychic powers, otherwise I'm a one body person.

One camera body for me!

One camera is on a bracket and the other uses the basic Canon strap that came with the camera. Most of the time I'm using one at a time and the other camera is next to my bag ready to pick up whenever needed. At the reception I'll typically have a 3rd body/lens at the backdrop. It's best to carry a backup for your backup.

Chris,

<p>

I actually made two homemade versions as well as the one that I purchased from the company.

<P>

Here is a series of pictures of the homemade versions on flickr:

<p>

<a href=http://www.flickr.com/photos/10045034@N05/sets/72157603664175867/show/>Homemade Strap Slideshow</a>

With the Black Rapid, I heard of one case where the camera worked itself loose from the clip while the photographer had the gear in his lap, and the camera fell. Some people have reworked the clip to make it more stable.

I still use the modified strap I describe in the following.

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0093Mb

The concept is similar to the Black Rapid, the camera slides up the strap. So one camera around my neck and the other on this strap at my side.

Or you can investigate the Kinesis open bottomed holster, which is made for quick access. Go to their website to check it out. Some people like the Upstrap too. You just have to learn how to "shrug" the strap off when it comes time to bring the camera up to the eye.

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot with two bodies 99% of the time I'm shooting professionally. I don't carry anythign over my neck - one camera over each shoulder. usually a longer prime on my right, and a shorter zoom on the left.

I don't like most LowePro products, but one that I do like is their 'speedster' strap.

it is lightweight, strong, has quick release, very grippy and will not slip when I run with my cameras (I do), and it is basic black and doesn't scream, "mug me!!".

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Speedster,2043.htm

it is not the most comfortable strap, however - it is not padded.

• 4 weeks later...

John,

I made two straps and purchased one strap since we have three bodies. Normally, I will just use one body at a time, but I have shot several weddings using two cameras and hence two straps at the same time.

They criss-cross your body and you end up with one camera on each hip.

Russ, thanks for that clarification.

Is it not awkward with two R-Straps? Wasn't it designed/intended to be used on its own? Surely the camera secured to the strap closest to your chest is restricted by the other camera's strap. Or does the strap cross over close to your neck and thereby make it possible?

A picture showing you wearing both straps and cameras would be useful.

Regards

John

The straps usually cross high enough on my chest not to interfere with each other. Also - have the straps adjusted loose enough so they have enough play to allow some movement.

It also helps to put the strap of the camera that you are going to use the most on top of the other one.

• 1 month later...