New Tamron 70-200/2.8

terry_smith2

I just got an email from B&H saying the Tamron 70-200/2.8 is now in stock with

EOS mount for USD 700 plus shipping. I've been interested in this lens since it

was announced two or three years ago. I'm waiting for test results from the

usual sources before I order one.

Tamron makes very good glass at reasonable prices. One thing I'd note, though, is that Tamron EOS mount lenses have slower, non-USM motors. If you're used to the the quick, silent focusing of Canon's USM lenses, you may be disappointed. Then again, if you don't shoot, say, sports, you may not care.

I've sold Tamron lenses since before Tamron started making EOS mount lenses. I've never been impressed with the focus speed on any Tamron internal-motor lens.

That said, again, some people aren't particularly concerned with focus speed. I'd just recommend going into a store and trying the lens on a camera before buying.

• 1 month later...
I just got mine. Optically I'm thrilled. At f/2.8 (on my 5D) it was resolving details I could barely see with my own eyes, even in the corners. The concerns I heard expressed about the AF motor are probably valid. It's louder than USM, and occasionally searched for a moment. That's not much of a concern for me as I'm more likely to use manual focus. It works wonderfully with the split cross focusing screen I got from slrdaren.com.