SWC finder

steve_george3

I've just bought an SWC minus finder at a good price, but now I have to find a

finder to use with it. Short of buying a new one (which would cost me more than

the camera did) I was intending to use a 25mm finder for 35mm format with the

A16 back. Is there an alternative to the original for the A12 format?

There is a discontinued Voigtlander right-angle finder that is supposed to be pretty nice,

but they are hard to come by, I understand. Stephen Gandy's CameraQuest website might

still have a write-up on them, to help judge whether it might be worth the effort to find

one (he was the primary outlet in the US, I believe).

Another option, if you're going to be using it on a tripod instead of as the world's sexiest

point-and-shoot would be to get a ground-glass viewing screen for it (I think 41050 was

the Hasselblad model number for the most recent version) and use it like a little view

camera that doesn't have any movements. That will get you more accurate framing and

focusing, too.

It is possible that you will eventually conclude that the lack of a finder and the absence of

really good, convenient alternatives had something to do with the good price :-) The SWC

finder is no optical marvel, but it does give you a quick idea of where you are aiming!

Cosina/Voigtlander made a new production run (500 or 1000 pieces?) of the SWC angle finders in 2006 or 2007 and they are still available new in Japan at about JPY45,000 or about USD450. It is very good and works exceptionally well also with the 6x4.5 back since it has the frame lines for that format and the camera and finder can easily be turned on its side for vertical composition. Of course any approximately 24mm finder could be used as a framing aid even if the image coverage is not exactly right. It is not exactly right on the original finder either. Leica, Zeiss and Voigtlander, for example, make these, but the mounting shoe is on top of the camera and the magazine protrudes quite far behind it so it may be hard to get your eye close enough to a finder meant for 35mm cameras.

I've been using my SWC for several years now both as a handheld street camera and for

tripod mounted landscape/architecture work. I can tell you that they certainly didn't take

the time to correct for curvilinear distortion in the viewfinder like they did in the lens,

enough so that its difficult to line up the swooping frame lines with the now curved sides

of buildings, so you're bound to end up offsetting your intended composition a little. This

might not be too much of a problem if you believe in cropping, but if you're like me and

print full frame all the time it would be nice to know where the edge actually falls. After

learning these things shooting for a while I got a used but great condition current model

Hasselblad groundglass back. The back will require some sort of a viewfinder over the

glass to block out light, a spare waist-level finder will even work, I recommend using the

magnifying hood for critical focus. The lens being f/4.5 its not exactly a bright image and

falls off a little, I use my raincoat as an added dark-cloth to help compensate. Doesnt help

that its not a Beattie screen. Bottom line, any shoe mount accessory view finder is going to

make composition a matter of guess work, and looking through the lens is going to be

slow require some squinting, but the images you'll get are worth it.

As already mentioned by Bill, and since you intend to use it more like a view camera on a

tripod, the Hasselblad groundglass screen accessory, used either with the Hasselblad

inline or reflex viewer, will provide the most accurate framing and focus. If you do go this

route, be aware the newer Hassy bright groundglass screens are a lot easier to work with

than the older, much darker screens.

If you want to use it as a quick, handheld point and shoot, which is how I use mine

most of the time, why not just skip the optical finder altogether and just use a simple

bubble

level that clips onto the top shoe mount? In my experience, the most important thing

when using the 38 Biogon handheld is to have the camera level, both side-to-side and

fore-and-aft. If you inadvertently tilt this lens, the converging lines will drive you crazy.

The older Hasselblad viewer does have a built-in bubble level, but it's not the easiest thing

to use while looking through the viewer for framing...it's a real juggling act. Besides, the

older optical viewfinders are pretty bad...lots of distortion and the framing is rather

sketchy. A

simple clip on bubble level on the shoe will allow you to use the camera pressed tightly

against your body, as you would with any waist level finder design, while keeping it level.

<i>"The older Hasselblad viewer does have a built-in bubble level"</i><br><br>It's the newer finder that has the bubble level built-in.<br>The older finder had a prism on one side, allowing a view of the bubble level on top of the camera without moving the viewfinder (and camera) too much.<br><br>With a bubble in the new finder, the bubble level on the camera disappeared at some time in the 1980s. The early SWC/M with CF lens, and all earlier SWC(/M)s still have a bubble level, so Steve will not need a clip on one.