Critique my website please

I though it was relatively easy to navigate. Its very basic though, not very progressive. As it may be a first impression, you may want to consider doing something with flash to modernize it. example: http://www.joeyl.com/. To be honest, my first impression was that you specialized in aerial photos, since its called "Eagle Eye" and has a city panorama in the front. I would love to see self explanatory photos become links to that portion of your business....i.e. click on the bride for weddings, the hockey punch for sports, etc. Also, take off the hit counter. Its tacky. Overall, not too bad!

I agree regarding the easy navigation and especially the counter. I personally don't care for a white background, but I'm really not sure why I feel that way. Other than that, I like your site, but I would suggest possibly giving the option to turn off the sound. It took a little while to load, and I'm not sure if that was the reason since everything else came up quickly except for the counter. Maybe that's what took so long...(the counter)

1. Build a site using Wordpress, Drupal, or similar CMS system

2. Make it black/dark and clean/simple

3. Use flash for the gallery only

4. Learn a tiny bit of SEO and go after your geographic keywords.

5. Have a blog and write a quality post per week.

Just some general tips which should give you enough leeway to 'make it your own'. I hate giving my own address as an example and risk looking like a self-promoter, but check it out: fergusonphotography.com

It's not the hottest site out there, but it is doing relatively well for me, keeps me busy with enough business to handle, which is the whole point. I'm doing all of those things I suggested, and it is working. It takes 3-6 months to see it start to grow, but it will eventually get there.

Personally it looks a little dated...and when I eventually worked out where the pics where they too looked dated.

If this is your business and livelyhood then you need to have a product that stands out. This doesn't as it isn't fresh or new.

You need to bring your [best] photos to the front...and show pictures not prices first! People want to be 'wow'ed by your work not by your prices. It's like having a shop and instead of putting your best selling products in the window, you have put up a price list.

There are a lot of menus too. Streamline. There is no creative inspiration to your site for me...i'm lost by the time i've seen 3 pics! You should be keeping it simple...lose the big eagle logo and put your best and most amazing images right upfront...so people have no choice but look at them. Your galleries begin with a series of medium photos that do nothing in terms of selling you.

Sorry but it does nothing for me, it's all very dated. But I think I may approach weddings a little different, and my market is for a bit more creative freedom, instead of a standard lighting setup used for every portrait. If you feel your market is for this kind of photography then it will be fine...as no matter what other photographers say, if you get bookings then it is obviously working :)

Sorry Ben I sounded very critical there, what i'm trying to say is that your photos don't show much emotion...or depth. They all seem very safe and on camera flash. No bounce or fill flash or shutter drag. They are all safe angles too...no wide shots or close in...even the journalistic pics are tame.

I'm a photo-journalist and a wedding/portrait professional, and when i say this it is only to give advice and not to criticize, however I do think you could benefit from a bit more courage in getting stuck in, and letting go, and also an understanding of creative lighting etc. Your sport pics look as though you have just pointed and shot and hoped for the best...get on f2.8, get in close and pic out emotions...faces...etc...it's not just about trying to get everything in. With the basket ball, your on camera [direct] flash is too harsh, the shadows are not subtle...you need to either use higher iso or bounce your flash or even drag the shutter to get some blur and movement...again you could get some nice wide shots on 2.8 with some fill-flash and they would look totally more appealing.

Sorry Ben I sounded very critical there, what i'm trying to say is that your photos don't show much emotion...or depth. They all seem very safe and on camera flash. No bounce or fill flash or shutter drag. They are all safe angles too...no wide shots or close in...even the journalistic pics are tame.

I'm a photo-journalist and a wedding/portrait professional, and when i say this it is only to give advice and not to criticize, however I do think you could benefit from a bit more courage in getting stuck in, and letting go, and also an understanding of creative lighting etc. Your sport pics look as though you have just pointed and shot and hoped for the best...get on f2.8, get in close and pic out emotions...faces...etc...it's not just about trying to get everything in. With the basket ball, your on camera [direct] flash is too harsh, the shadows are not subtle...you need to either use higher iso or bounce your flash or even drag the shutter to get some blur and movement...again you could get some nice wide shots on 2.8 with some fill-flash and they would look totally more appealing.

And why am I saying all this about the photos? Because your photos are your website...your photos are you..and most importantly your product, and your product has to be the best and most appealing to your clients. Be it editors or customers!

Martin, your criticism is noted even thou I was asking for how I put the website together and not on the photos I placed in it. I will admit I am not much of a "Artsy-Fartsy" type photographer as I was trained by the military for documentation. I also worked in a few wedding chapels here in Las Vegas so I taught and learned that SAFE pics will sell, were as "wild" one were a hit or miss type situation. I would love to learn more of the photojournalistic style. Also a lot of my clients have been fellow Mormon people and our weddings (sealing at temples) are a lot more conservative than the rest of the "standard" wedding mind set. I do understand lighting and as you say creative lighting with multi point lighting is stuff i try to incorporate when ever possible.

As for my sports pictures I NEVER point,shoot and hope for the best. I do have a Mark3 and just "Spray and Pray". I work full time for a company the provides school photos for there yearbooks. There again it is as a documentation role. I use my own 2.8 lens for these. I dont use direct flash unless i have to and most HS gyms I am maxing out my ISO already as they are dungeons. Basketball, Volleyball, and wrestling I use 2 speedlights in the stands cross lighting the area. As for dragging shutter and getting motion blur, you might feel this is "cool" but I find it is unacceptable for sports shots.

• 1 month later...

I think less text & more pictures make for a good photography website. There are so many websites with great templates you can just plug you stuff in to & it would have a more modern look. Keep it simple & just showcase your work.

I also agree that a blog is very important.