monopod?

tom_worster

i never bought or used one before so i'm not sure what to look for. i am 5' 9" and i want to use it with a

40d and ef 70-200 zoom at bicycle racing events and music concerts -- the kind where the audience is

standing with beer in hand.

i was eyeing the manfrotto 3245 automatic pod with 3229 QR tilt head. for the cycling i think being able

to get low very quickly, as the 3245 claims to allow, might be an advantage. cyclists move fast.

comments or advice most wlcome.

I use the Manfrotto Neo-Tec monopod, which is the big brother of the 3245, I guess. The Neo-Tec works very well for rapid opening and closing. This comes in handy for quickly getting to and from a low vantage point, and also for just folding it up fast, and moving through a crowd of people, or through a cluttered environment, like a theatre or stadium.

I have the Bogen-Manfrotto 679B Monopod w/ 3229QR (tilt) which I like a good bit. I use the Manfrotto 486RC2 ballhead on it. I suggest another head in addition to the 3229. The description says that it tilts in two directions, however that is inaccurate. Unless you call up and down two.

The 679B is about 1/2 the cost ... I have shot MotoG (motorcycle) with this monopod and had no trouble getting lower or higher as I needed to.

I also use the Bogen-Manfrotto 679B Monopod. I use this with the Bogen-Manfrotto 3265 joystick head. This works well for me (the joystick is also great for the tripod). The versatiltiy of this head needs to be considered against its extra weight and size (1.7 lbs). You could probably line your shot up with one hand (so you can hold your beer), but you would get tired of the weight and bulk.