Looking to buy Digital SLR

andre_khizenko

Hello,

Im looking to buy a digital SLR camera as a present for my father. Hes not a

paparazzi, or a sports photographer, or a professional photographer at all,

really, but I definatley want a whole bunch of features to play around with for

him. He mostly takes regular outdoor shots.

So, what camera/lenses should I buy to start him off? Also, I read some stuff

where it says that for some markets they make same model camera, but they use

lower quality stuff, so you have to make sure its for certain market, like US

or Asian market, can anyone explain to me what that business is all about?

Sounds to me that the newest Digital rebel model would fit the bill. It is the XSi here in the states and the 450D else where. The only thing I would see that may be an issue is the size, it is rather small. So the vertical battery grip would be a nice addition. It depends on the size of his hands. If you want the camera right away then maybe the XTi (AKA 400D) would do. It also can be had with a vertical grip.

If he has experience with 35mm photography the 40D may be a better camera, it is more "full size" and with more features and abilities. Without going into great details any of the above mentioned cameras would most likely more than take care of his needs.

I would even look into a 30D. They are still selling new at B&H for a great price. It is like the 40D just with less features like live view. Unless he does macro work...the live view would not be that usefull.

And then if money is not a real problem the 5D is a nice piece of work. It has been around a while so it lacks some of the newest features, it is much like a 30D but much more "pro" minded as it lacks the portrait, landscape, and macro modes. It even lacks the pop up flash. But if he is remotely serious about photography, he will never know they are missing. The 5D will get you closer to the 35mm film experience due to the large view finder and no crop factor.

As far as the comment on different markets haveing different grade of components...I would be surprised if that was true at all. But maybe that just shows that I live a blissfully ignorate life. :o)

Jason

There is a fallicy that the DSLR is the right camera for many people.

If you father wants to spend thousands on various lenses, will be doing extraordinary photography (night/long exposure, birds & distant critters, Macro) and is willing to learn a bunch about light, aperture, shutter speed, etc... then a DSLR is a good choice and I personally fully recommend the Canon 400D.

But if he wants a simpler, cheaper photo experience, then an advanced Digital (e.g. Canon G9) should be kept in the equation.

Read these boards, there are alot of unhappy DSLR users, because they didn't realize the complexity of these cameras prior.

Forgot to mention a lens. If he owns a Canon EOS film camera then that lens would work fine on any Canon EOS DSLR.

I don't know what you have to spend here, but if you are limited I would say spend less on the body and more on the glass. For "normal" output(viewing on computer or the ocasional 8x10 or 11x14 print) any of the cameras will do well enough and would be hard to tell the difference with out large prints or pixel peeping, but the difference in the lens will be more significant.

I am not really going to much else other than for a walk around zoom lens, try to get "IS". By all means if you get a telephoto zoom, get IS on it. For out door shooting a lens hood is a must, filters are optional(I use them for protection but some argue the whole issue). A circular polarizer would be a good choice for outdoors if you have the cash.

Jason

<i>"Also, I read some stuff where it says that for some markets they make same model camera, but they use lower quality stuff"</i><P>

That's pure BS, although I am sure that if you try to buy from any of the Brooklyn, USA bait-n-switch scam shops that advertise too-good-to-be-true prices, some of them will feed you that very line!

The Digital Rebels (or now just "Rebels") are great cameras for people such as your

describe. They have virtually all of the features he would likely want and then some -

certainly as many or more than typical 35mm SLRs of the past - and they produce

excellent photographs. Unless the photographer has some specific needs that cannot be

met by a Rebel there is very little reason to start with a more expensive body.

The EFS 18-55mm kit lens is likely to be a perfect starting lens. Not only is it getting

excellent reports in terms of its image quality but the cost is very low. It covers the core

focal length range than most people will need for most shots.

For a buyer without specific goals, interests, or experience getting more expensive gear

makes little sense in most cases. There are a bunch of reasons for this that I won't

elaborate on right now.

Thomas also has a great point that you should consider. There is not really anything in

your post that suggests that a DSLR would necessarily be "better" in this case than a good

quality "point and shoot" camera. Some of these are quite excellent and produce fine

image quality for those who won't make giant prints and so forth. For many folks who are

not passionate about photography, a smaller camera is more likely to be taken along and

used than a larger DSLR.

Dan

I agree with some of the previous posts regarding the SLR v. point & shoot issue. Many (most!) people will find that a good P&S meets their needs with less weight, cost, and complication. If he wants a SLR that will meet almost all SLR needs, a Canon 40D is a great choice. Or a Rebel may be all he needs (or that you can afford). Look at http://dpreview.com/ for great, in depth reviews of these cameras.

If he will be just as happy with a good P&S, you can't go wrong with a Canon G9. Again, look at the detailed reviews.

All the best

He competed in photography a long time ago, circa 1970s or so. Im sure he remebers all the photography basics, or at least be able to pick them up quickly again. I know for a fact he wants a "real" camera, my uncle bought one, when my uncle showed it to him, he really seemed like he wanted one. But my dad is not the type of person to spend money on "toys". He has some cheapo point and click digital camera, I forgot what kind.

Anyway, his birthday is coming up, I figure Id get him one.

Im looking to spend about 1k for a camera + 1 lens, I figure if I get him that, it will be enough enticement for him to get the rest of the lenses and the other stuff that he needs. Or if 1k isnt enough for both camera+lens, at least a camera then.

For a $1000.00(I assume USD here) you can by almeans get him a Rebel XTi ($519.00) a 18-55 IS kit lens ($175.00) and a vertical grip ($140.00). That would leave money to spare for a 2 gig memory card and a nice bag for the new gear. The camera comes with all the software you "need".

Jason

$1,000 (US) should be plenty for a starter camera and lens. If you want to go the route of a kit, the Canon XTi kit comes with the camera body and the EF-S 18-55mm lens for ~$600. While that lens isn't the greatest, it is a good starter for many just getting into (or back into) the world of digital SLRs. If you want to go slightly little higher end, I would suggest you consider getting the Canon XTi camera body and 1-2 add-on lenses. The Sigma 30mm F1.4 (my recommendation) or Canon 50mm F1.8 are both good lenses you might consider.

Also, I wouldn't suggest you spend extra money on accessories like the vertical grip until you determine if he really wants/needs them. If you have some money left over and want to pick up some accessories, get an 8GB memory card and/or an external card reader for the computer. That's definitely money well spent. :)

That's a nice gift. Sounds like a nice new digi Rebel would work well. Lots of features that

your dad can learn at his convenience. Add a grip and he'd have a nice body. While the

smaller lens is quite nice, the 17 - 85 is nice too. While there is more distortion at the

short end, it is the equalivent if a 28 - 135 film lens. My 40d kit only added $200 for that

lens. From your description, the 40d would be overkill not to mention the difference in

cost. If you elect to go digital for you dad, you might let him know that the software takes

a bit to learn and reading the s/w instructions is a very good idea. I have yet to feel the

need for a card reader and download from the body via USB. The kit you have in mind

sounds nice.

I suggest Canon 400D (XTi), plus the 18-55/3.5-5.6 IS kit lens (try to get the one with the image stabilizer, not the regular kit lens), plus a 2 Gb or 4Gb CF card, plus a copy of Photoshop Elements.<P>

If you have any money left over, I suggest throwing in a Canon 50/1.8. Costs about 90 bucks. Allows low-light shooting and experimentation with depth-of-field. Good portrait lens.<P>

If you try to get the cheapest price online, you may end up with a scam artist. They'll try to lure you with offers like XTi for 200 bucks. They'll have a fancy-looking website. Great, you say, and you'll type in your credit card number. Then they'll call you up and they'll tell you that the batteries are extra, the charger is extra, the menus on the camera are in Outer Mongolian and would you like the English version for an extra so many dollars. And so on.<P>

Don't fall for it - stay away from bait-n-switch scam artists. Check out online sellers reputations at www.resellerratings.com. Reputable online dealers include B&H, Adorama, KEH, and Calumet. Also, don't forget your mom-n-pop camera shop down the street.

Current Rebel or new one (that should be out soon) with a 28 f/1.8 prime lens. Grab a 4gb compact flash card for 30 bucks and sit back and see how your dad takes to it all in. He should be familiar with primes after using cameras in the 70's, and the 28 1.8 will give him a normal perspective on the crop body Rebel.

I think Jason Hall naiiled it. But I would add the 50 1.8 to the mix for only $70 more. If Dad was a real photog back in the 1970's he'll appreciate the shallow Depth of field this lens can do as compared to the kit zoom.

Also, the G9 is great, but you just can't get that shallow DOF with it.

vertical grip allows one to put 2 batteries in it. It attaches to the bottom of the camera. It also has an extra shutterbutton and some controls to allow the camera to be held vertically...for vertical pics....placing your hands in the normal positions (ie not having to put one hand over around or under and around the camera. Makes for steadier vertical shots and easier to keep horizon level in vertical shots.

If he shoots a lot of vertical pics....its worth it...........if not.......buy another lens or speedlite instead.

Canon G9. Great camera. Decent price. Small, light, not many accessories to increase future expenditures, healthy zoom range, can be operated manually, works with Canon auto speedlights...the list goes on. Leave the SLRs for people who honestly need to change lenses or need extremely good image quality.

Keith

If he wants a SLR, the Rebel is a good choice.

For the lens, get a Tamron 17-50 2.8, I have one, it is cheap, quality is excellent (infinitely better than the kit lens), and it covers the most useful focal range. You can't go wrong with this lens.

Andre, would your father do any hand-held low available light photography (no flash) -- such as is commonly found indoors? If so, you're going to want to stick to an SLR and make sure your lens(es) have a maximum aperture of f/2.8 or faster (smaller f/ number).