Cairo, Petra and Israel in Late May - Which color pos/neg film?

keith_leonin

I'll have a film RF (mostly with HP5+) and a digital RF, but would like to

supplement that with a color emulsion for occasions when I want to shoot a

wide angle shot, e.g., 21mm at a FULL FRAME angle of view (as opposed to the

1.5x crop from my DRF) -- very specific example of usage: Petra.

Obviously, these would be high contrast situations. I would like to simplify

and only bring one type (and practice with just one type leading up to the

trip). I typically scan and then print.

1) Astia 100F?

2) Provia 400X? (price = Ouch!)

3) 160 "portrait" negative instead of a postive film?

Which one would you choose?

Thanks,

Keith

Hello Keith. The reading i have done indicates that you have more exposure latitude with color negative film than with color positive. That might be important at a site like Petra. The color pictures i have seen of Petra showed a lot of contrast between lites and darks, between bright sunlight, blue sky, reddish cliffs & temples,and deep shadows in the temples, and in the passage leading to Petra. Color negative film might be more 'forgiving' in a scene like that, and you might get better details in the shadow areas, than if you used color positive, with the same exposure settings.

Hi Alan - that's my understanding as well, which is why I listed the 160 portrait film as an option. But the muted colors and very fine grain of Astia may help, as may the versatility of Provia 400X -- don't know. Shooting the neg may be the safer bet.

Keith

I would go with Fuji Reala, very wide latitude, colors aren't all that muted, but they aren't exagerated. It is what I use when I want fine grain and good lattitude.

I suggest trying to get a roll each of reala and some of the 160 portrait/pro films and trying each out. See which one you like and then get 2 or 3 rolls and take it with you. It might cost you $30-40 for 3-5 rolls of film and next day processing, but better to find a negative film you like then take a chance and be dissapointed by the results.

I am familiar with slide flims only; however, I have never scanned them and printed from them. I do not recommend Astia--not enough punch to it. I recommend Provia 100F for those contrasty situations especailly shooting during the day. For morning and late afternoon light where you want more saturation and vivid colors, Velvia 100. Since you are going to be scanning, can't you solve the dark shadows issue during processing?

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/JSP/fuji/epartners/prophoto/pdfs/Pro_film_misc.pdf

Joe Smith

Since you are going to be scanning, can't you solve the dark shadows issue during processing? -- Jospeh

Hi Joseph - yes, IF there is sufficient detail there to solve. What I'm truly afraid of is having blocked up shadows to begin with. In any case, since I have to decide pretty quickly so I can have some practice before my trip, I'll likely go with negative film for the greater latitude -- probably Fuji Pro 160s to start with.

Thanks all.

KL

For Landscapes, go with Slides, as generations of pro shooters have. Any slide film except Kodachrome will give you saturated enough colors. Unless you are planning evening/low light shots, go with 100 speed slide.

However, if you must go neg, there is only one film to get: Kodak 400UC. Exposure lattitude, fine grain, speed, and punch (but not even close to slide film in this respect). Blows Reala away for landscapes (and portraits too IMHO).

Aaron, Randall - While I would typically shoot slides, it's not as straightforward as that since I am talking about a HIGH CONTRAST situation (desert region in the summer), and since I will scan whatever I shoot (as I stated earlier), it could become very dicey.

Anyway, thanks for you input, but I will likely stick with the greater latitude.