ben_koetterhagen

As we approach our May 11 delivery date, I want to ensure that I capture images

that we will be able to reflect on for a lifetime. I will be using my 40D with

17-55 2.8 IS. I will be using Av, and will try to quickly adjust my settings

once (as to not upset the wife). I usually only shoot in JPEG, but I figure I

could use JPEG + RAW as a form of insurance. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but

that way, if any of my settings (aside from focus) are off, I will be able to

correct the RAW images in post processing. Is that statement correct? Please

advise me on anything that could help in this situation.

Or should I just use the fully automatic mode?

Thanks.

Ben

You said you wanted to use Av - which aperture did you had in mind? I would have thought you are better off using P mode, flash and Raw+Jpeg.

With Raw, you can fix a bit of exposure, white balance and picture style. You can't "fix" focus, aperture (and, consequently depth of field) and shutter speed.

Frankly, green mode is good too. I have a feeling you'll be having different things to worry about then and after... Best of luck!

Yes you definitely have more latitude for post-processing with RAW, so if there is an exposure problem you can capture some of that data better.

Don't use the green square mode. You can always use program mode and adjust from there if you want to have it be more automatic.

Are you using a flash? if so I would probably not go AV and just shoot in P. Av may give you

some blurry shots because it exposes the entire scene where P illuminates the subject.

I say shoot in P because at that moment I don't know if adjusting camera setting will be

something you want to do?

Raw + Jpeg is a good idea just make sure you have the memory card size needed.

Ben, I strongly second your idea of shooting in both JPEG + RAW -- as long as your memory card is big enough, as Tommy DiGiovanni points out. You'll have more latitude for after-the-shoot correction, and also will have a much better baseline to start with should one of the shots prove to memorable and worthy of being enlarged and framed.

Also, I have been forwarned from the wife that I better not be fussing with the camera too much, which is why I want to set it and forget it! I don't plan on snapping many exposures, so I want to ensure the photos I do get are superb.

I'm toying with the thought of bringing my 35L as well, so that if the light doesn't facilitate a good shutter speed, I can throw on the 1.4. I hoping it doesn't come to that, as I want to be able to capture wide angle as well as moderate zoom. Thoughts?

Ben

Shoot RAW - I suspect the colour temperature of the lights may be a bit odd - you can easily

correct white balance later in post-processing.

9/10ths of my shots are taken in Av so I support the Av idea. To make things a bit easier on

the fly you might want to set your three custom modes to give you an easy choice - say C1 at

ISO 100 and f2.8, C2 at ISO 400 and f5.6, C3 at ISO 800 and f8.

Ben, I did basically the same thing and I got shots of my son pretty much seconds after he

came out. I did use a flash since I did not want to take the chance on it lagging my shutter

even at 2.8. This is more a preference. I know many prefer not to use a flash but I don't

mind I just diffuse it so its soft. I don't always care for high ISO and again I think you want

to keep it as simple as possible.

If your set on not using a flash just do a few test shots in the room to make sure you can

shoot at a fast enough shutter and go for it.

good luck

Having just had a baby 6 days ago I do have some experience here, and I deliver babies as a physician as well. I would definitely plan on bringing a flash just in case. Your wife may want the lights dimmed a little, and sometimes those babies don't come at 12 noon. Also, there may be parts of the room that aren't as well lit. Finally, she probably won't have the curtains wide open.

Do bring the 35 f/1.4 as well you won't regret it. I switched lenses quite a bit during my stay.

I shot our daughter on film. B&W 3200 ISO with a 50 1.8. We had a hospital birth, but not in a "operating room" style delivery room. Very low light levels.

Flash probably won't be appreciated by your wife, and certainly not the baby. Shoot F2.8, ISO 1600 or 3200. The IS will save your butt. Use RAW. Don't use full auto. The actual delivery shots in B&W were a good idea - reduces the appearance of blood etc. and was much appreciated. Colour worked well once the baby was a bit more awake and nursing.

You'll be shaking a bit if you were anything like me!

If you're gonna shoot available light with your 17-55/2.8 don't even think about fiddling with 100 iso. Try 800 or 1600 iso AV f/2.8. Yes there will be some grain but who cares. raw+jpeg is indeed a good idea when dealing with tungsten lighting.

It'd be nice if you could get a few shots at the end with that 35L... but I'd start with the zoom.

Ken Rockwell had some excellent delivery room shots on his site if I remember correctly - www.kenrockwell.com Might be worthwhile studying those... All the best to you and your wife and junior!

Tommy,

Depends on the Doc. Most hospitals now don't allow video during the "crowning" due to liability issues but allow photography at any time. To answer your question I've had dads shooting all the way through. As long as the mom doesn't care about the exposure I don't.

Babies with their eyes closed (and most do initially) don't care about flash for the most part.

By all means shoot in P mode - making sure you have set a high enough ISO to get a desired

aperture / shutter speed combination. However I believe that if you choose to shoot in the

green square, auto-everything mode RAW captures are not an option so don't get caught out

by that!

Leave the 35 f/1.4L at home, mount your flash on your camera instead, you don't have to use it but it's there. I think it's more convenience that way, plus delivery room isn't spacious, you would need the wide angle of the 17-55.

Try to stop down a bit so you could have some DoF, one thing other posts forgot to mention is the Auto ISO function on your 40D. You only have to worry about the aperture setting with Auto ISO on.

Why not shoot only RAW? Since you want RAW + JPEG, have you thought about shooting RAW + sJpeg? I normally loose about 3-5 RAW files when I have this mode on, the sJpeg is about 2.5 megapixels and is good for small print and web viewing.

Congratulation on the new baby and I wish you have many memorial images of your child years to come.

DEFINITELY use flash...The room will not be as lit as you might think. The actual delivery table will be very well let, but the rest of the room may be fairly dark. Definitely also go ahead and make a test shot or two to make sure you have a decent exposure, go ahead and use the RAW plus JPEG (on the 40D it's not that much slower than just RAW), and make sure to have a large card. You will want TONS of shots...My youngest is now 7 months, and I'm well into the thousands already...

I think I would be tempted to put the camera on a tripod and set it running with something like a TC80N3. I spent all of my time with both of my wife's births doing all the support things husbands do. But then I'm squeamish these days and would sooner have been holding her hand than staring down a lens at some very biological stuff.

Another benefit of having your gear on a tripod out of the way, is that your wife can't pick it up and try to kill you with it.

My very best wishes for the day and for the next few months.

<p><i>Leave the 35 f/1.4L at home, mount your flash on your camera instead</i></p><p>I disagree wholeheartedly. After going through what your wife will go through, the last thing she is going to want is a bright flash going off in her face, to say nothing of the medical staff.</p>

I understand your point, but to counter, it's not that difficult to switch between the two, with nothing but two hands. I've done it with two considerably more bulky lenses.

Secondly, I don't think the issue will come up. If he's photographing in the delivery area, that will be considerably brighter than the recovery area (assuming a modern hospital). So, there, he uses the f/2.8 zoom. After all the time-sensitive stuff has happened, and she's moved to recovery, the f/1.4 lens will likely be used, instead.

I don't think flash would be appropriate for either situation.