Slave Flashes for Canon - Resources/advice needed

eyob_kidanmariam

Hello Friends,

This is my first posting. I recently started taking photography very seriously

and actually took about 5 classes so far. My first real life test is coming this

May. I will be taking Wedding as a backup photographer. This is my friend's

wedding and I am doing more to test myself rather than helping her. Anyway, she

asked me if I can setup a make shift studio in their hotel and take some

pictures as this is not part of the package with the main photographer. I

believe the simplest and cost effective way to do this is to use my flash and

use 2 other flashes as slaves to eliminate shadows. My question is what is the

best inexpensive flash that I can use as slaves. I am shooting with Canon 30D

and my main flash is Canon Speedlight 580EX II. Thank you.

Welcome to this forum. My take on this is as follows: If you can afford it, just buy 2 more 580s. If you plan on becoming a wedding photographer, then you will need them and it is an investment. Also, they are same and can be used as backups. Very important in this business. Also, since they are the same, you don't run into problems of them not wanting to talk to each other properly and the like. If you can't buy them, try renting them. That is another option. You need to know how to use them, dialing them down, using them on manual, etc. Don't skimp on equipment, pick a brand, Canon or Nikon and then try to use lenses, flashes, etc. from that same brand. That is the best way to go. Good luck.

As a reply regarding your longer term goals, I would have to say stick with the Canon dedicated flashes. They can be sold used if you change your mind and for a large part of their original value.

Given that starting point, another 580 and a 430 would be great additions to your current setup (or two 430s if you want to spend less). The 430 can be used behind subjects, for separation or for rim light. The second 580 as your main set off to your side about 30 degrees from your cam position. Then use the one 580 master that is on your camera as fill, dialed down about 1 1/3 stops from your main (or whatever you like the look of). You can set the ratios on your master pretty easily and viola.

Hope that gives some starting/easy setup info.

Welcome to PN. As far as flash choices go, you could do what ever, but there is some wisdom in sticking with the Canon flashes. However be aware that a 430ex is not the same thing as a 430ez. The EX has more control, but has issues if you try to use it with an optical slave. In general I recommend against it as I have seen too many threads with problems stemming from that.

<br>

But you have the 580exII and that can be used as a master flash with other Canon flashes including the 420EX, 430EX, 550EX, 580EX, 580EX II can all act as a slave flash when using wireless E-TTL. Note there are no EZ flashes here so pay attention if your looking at used stuff. Canon's way of controling the slaves is with infrared, so line of sight is important, and outdoors in direct sunlight can be problematic, but your inside.

<br>

<br>

So knowing all this my suggestion on a second flash in decending order is as follows:

<br>

<br>

a)another 580exII

<br>

b)580EX

<br>

C)430EX

<br>

d)550EX

<br>

e)420EX

<br>

f)the Vivitar linked to above or another such third party lens that has manual controls. It has auto controls but those wont do you any good if its not the only flash used. You will also need to be able to trigger that flash. There are optical triggers http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/109466-REG/Kaiser_201501_Hot_Shoe_Flash_Slave.html but those are also line of sight from the main flash. The in camera TTL controls will not play nice with others, so you would need to set each flash manually. It's not rocket science but you need to be aware that you have to control it all yourself. Also the prefires from the TTL flash(es) will fool the optical slaves into firing too soon. You would want to set the 580 to manual with the white balance to manual and in M mode for the camera.

<br>

<br>

You could look into renting a semi-pro setup. Studio strobes come in many sizes and a shop that rents locally will probably tell you just how big or small a setup that you would need. You would need to put this all in manual too, but it's extremely consistant output and once you have it dialed in, just keep shooting. Rent a light meter too if you need to, they arent that hard to figure out and make your life a whole lot easier.

<br>

<br>

Group shots are not a set it up and viola kind of thing. You will want to practice some. The shadows from flash a need to be filled somewhat by flash b and vice versa. The larger the group the more shadows. You will want seperation from the background so you may want a hairlight. And if you cant get far enough away from the background you will want a light on that too. And all need to have manual adjustments. One not having a manual adjustment can work, but it's a chore.

<br>

<br>

Bottom line is you need to not overstate what you can do to the bride. Tell her it's just a test and to not expect the world balanced on the tip of an oyster.