Cokin filters - Right for me?

marko_kovacevic

I was in Henrys, buying a new camera strap [Domke], developer, and a battery for my Olympus stylus

epic. I also picked up my Kodachrome.

I saw some Cokin filters, and was thinking of getting them. I was thinking of a ND grad, and a star filter I

don't use filters a lot. I also do not shoot landscape.

Do you think Cokin filters are right for me? These are the square ones.

What size do I need for a 49mm thread?

I had some Cokin filters with my old 35mm set up, but they won't fit my Canon lenses now. I too was in Henry's this past week having a look and I think I'll go for the ND grad as well. I had good luck with them with my old Contax.

Cokin does have a reputation for having a slight color cast in some of their ND filters, and there are other brands that are more consistent, but they also cost quite a bit more. If you're shooting digital, B&W, or color negative film it really won't matter, but it can show a bit on your Kodachrome. How much is largely dependent on how picky you are, and how "gray" the filter really is. They vary.

Personally, I would still get the cheaper Cokins to see if this is really something you want to do. But if you don't shoot landscapes you might find little use for the ND grad, and most other Cokin filters too gimmicky for me. I did use their star filter for a while, and it does have it's uses, but it's really easy to overuse the effect.

For 49mm, you can use the smaller "A" size Cokin filters, and filter holder. Then get an A type 49mm filter ring to mount the holder on. If you think you might use larger lenses in the future, you could get the "P" size set up now. It will also fit 49mm threads with the right size filter ring.

The A and P Cokin filter sets are not too expensive. The bigger ones go up a lot, and the Lee, Hi-tech, etc are VERY much more expensive. B&H has a nice discussion at http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/cokin.jsp?cm_sp=RP-_-Resource-_-Cokin_Creative_Filter_System

and they sell all these different brands of Cokin-style filters.

There are even cheaper knockoffs at places like Fotodiox. Unless you really use these a lot, it's a good way to find out whether you like using them without tossing a lot of cash at something you may not use much.