Many fine scratches across negatives

jamie_e.

Hi all,

I received 2 rolls of color film back today, and noticed that on both, there

are many very fine scratches running horizontally across the entire roll. On

one frame, I counted about 20 or so. The scratches are straight, but

sometimes angle up, and sometimes fade in and out across frames. One frame

has a few scratches at left, then at the right, many more scratches begin.

Some frames look worse than others.

Also, there is a large mark through the central area of most of the frames.

This mark is not always uniformally straight, but travels gently up and down

sometimes as it goes across the negatives. The tiny scratches don't show up

on the images after scanning, but the mark does (example here:

http://www.jamieeby.com/images2/elaine.jpg ).

I have Nikon F100 that I've been using without problems for about 6 months.

One roll was Portra 800 and the other Fuji 800. I had them developed together

at a local pro lab that I've not had problems with. Both rolls were push

processed 2 stops (low-light jazz club situation, and so I decided to try

shooting both rolls at 3200). I have a flatbed Epson V500 scanner that I've

used for a few months without problems (so no film is being fed into any kind

of slot that may have grit). Same plastic Printfile negative holders that I

always use.

Does anyone had advice as to where I should start troubleshooting? Would you

take the camera in for cleaning first then try another test roll at the same

lab, or does this look like something I should bring up with the lab first?

Thanks.

I experienced a similar issue when I was doing B&W in my own darkroom a fews year s

back (need to get beck into that too). First thing, check the camera and make sure it clean

inside, particular the pressure plate and the frame around the shutter. But I doubt this is

the problem. Next, be sure hare a new, originally packed film (no dusst or grit on the film

can light seal). Again, prolly not the source. Think for a moment, does the camera rewind

like it always did? The motor isn't straining is it? Check the free-wheeling force of the

take up spool. If all that is good, then talk to your lab, and inquire about the film handling

preoceedures. Especially while the film is 'wet'. In my case, it turned out that the squeegy

was too abrasive and was leaving marks in the wet/soft emulsion. I went to air drying

after that.

If nothing else, find another lab and give them a try.

If its inside the camera, then you get horizontal lines that are in the same place and consistant.If its processing it might be more wavy as the film moves around the rollers. If its on the emulsion side of the film you get dark lines on the prints, if its on the other side of the film (non emulsion) then its probably not the camera.From your description,I suspect the lab and not the camera.

Abou 4 months ago, I had two rolls of color film come back from Targets prcessing center with all of the prints and negs scratched.

To make sure it was not my camera, I took another roll to a one hour photo place.

After I dropped off my film, I went to Target and told them of my problem. The customer service department went out of their way to help me, and I sent back my negs to be reprinted. When I got my one hour prints back, no scratches; when I got my Target film back, same scratches.

When I called the Target development center, They were very rude, and did not want to even pay for my trouble.

My local Target store did refund my cost of film and development costs.

What I would do is, take another roll of film, take it to a one hour photo lab, and see if it is your camera or your lab.

Richard B.

I would be willing to bet that your film was hand processed because of that push. And, I'll also bet that at some point the 1diot doing the processing squeegeed the film between two fingers instead of just hanging it up to dry. Which is almost guaranteed to cause scratches just like you described. I would suggest that you talk to the manager of that lab and complain vigerously about how your film was mis-handled. The simple fact is that skin is about as harsh on a wet film emulsion as using sandpaper. Which is why I use a photo wetting solution and jsut hang my film up without any wiping. In over 30 years I have yet to scratch one roll of film and water spots have not really been an issue.

I used to use the DuPont fine pore sponges. The factory that made them was destroyed by fire some years ago, and it was difficult to find an adequate replacement. The large pore sponges were of poor quality and would scratch the negatives. The only way to rapidly remove the water was to use a chamois or wipe with the fingers. I'll bet that the lab used one of these methods and scratched your negs.

Hi all, thanks for your advice - this is all very helpful.

Dan, I haven't noticed any difference in how the camera rewinds lately, but I will listen more carefully next time to be sure.

I think what I'm going to do is run another roll through a different camera, and run another roll through my F100, and take both into the same lab for processing next weekend, and have them look at these questionable negatives too.

One last question - I seem to remember reading this somewhere, but maybe I'm imagining things - does push processing make the emulsion more delicate or susceptible to things like scratches?

It's possible. Push processing uses an extended time of development to increase the density of the negatives. Which means the the film gets soaked for a longer period of time, which can make it more prone to being damaged. However, if the film is handled properly this is not a problem. Bascially your film was scratched because it was mis-handled and nothing else.