autofocus problems Fuji GA645zi

rundu_staggers

I recently shot three rolls of T-Max 100 120 film through a Fuji

GA645zi for the first time. When my film was processed, several of

the frames were out-of-focus.

In some cases, one frame was sharp and the one next to it was not.

I used the manual settings for aperture and shutter and the autofocus

feature to focus.

I would appreciate any information regarding this.

If you were shooting at a slow shutter speed, that can make things look out of focus. Are you using a tripod? Also if the object you are photographing doesn't have much detail or contrast then the camera may have a hard time focusing. But the display in the viewfinder shows what distance the camera is focused at, so just point it at something and press the shutter half way to focus, note the distance then repeat a couple of times and see if the distance is the same each time.

Also, if it's too dark the camera will have a hard time focusing.

Good luck. I've had a lot of success with one of these cameras and am really happy with it. Autofocus doesn't work in all cases though.

I've been using a GA645 for over a year to shoot wedding candids. The AF has a tendancy to mis-focus quite often. You have to quickly verify that the distance shown in the viewfinder is about right. If it isn't you have to take your finger off the shutter button and try again. It's the nature of the beast.

• 2 years later...
i've experienced the same problem.. at the cost of most of my newborn's pictures. man was i upset. but then i read a little closer into the handbook. make sure you're no closer (physically) to your subject than 1 meter in order to focus accuratley. then if you need to get a little closer, zoom in. careful that you don't cut off the heads due to the parallax of the camera. remember,you're not focusing through the lens since this is a rangefinder camera. also the 1meter focus block will be steady. if it's ever blinking, then refocus and/or move back a little until the number is solid. also may want to do a sanity check. if you're trying to focus on something that is close to you and the meter reads infinity, then you're definitely out of focus. it's tricky at first but the results are great. i primarily use my fuji for weddings and can't afford to miss one shot. luckily, i haven't. good luck.