XTi plus better lens vs XSi with lesser-quality lens?

jeffbauman

Short take -- An approximate $1,000 buys me either (1) Rebel XTi body plus EF-S

17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, or (2) Rebel XSi body with its EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6

USM IS kit lens. If the money for the above is roughly equal -- which is the

better choice?

Note that either of the above body/lens sets would be supplemented with the

EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, and the EF 50mm f/1.8 II

Longer take -- I'm a lifelong lover of photography who, in the film-only days,

could never afford the materials to shoot enough to really learn the craft.

Now I'm ready to move up from a digital P&S (Canon A620) and get my first DSLR

and get serious about learning to control the process and results of creating

images with my camera. For my situation, what's your take on going with choice

1 (fewer dollars for less featured camera and better lens) versus choice 2

(more dollars for newer, better featured camera and lesser-quality lens)?

So, one of your options is the XTi plus EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, and you're going to supplement it with the EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, and the EF 50mm f/1.8 II?

That doesn't make sense.

However, getting a better lens and cheaper body is virtually always a better option than a better body and cheaper lens.

I just spent a while walking around with the XTI / 18-55 IS / 50 1.8 combo, and it worked quite well for me.

Since you are on a budget, another issue to consider is peripheral costs like memory - the XSI will use the same SD memory cards that you have been using with your A620. The XTI will require you to purchase CF cards - which tend to be more expensive than SD cards.

If I were in your shoes, I'd get the XSI with the 18-55 IS kit (only $900 on Amazon right now). It will leave you enough money to pick up a few extras like batteries, memory, and a new hard drive for your computer (you will be using a lot more space than you did with your A620).

If you want a good outside opinion of the two lenses - I have found the reviews here helpful:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/

I'd get the XSi and kit lens. It rates well in tests and you can always save up and expand your

lens collection later. Besides I'd rather have F3.5 at the short end of the 18-55 than F4.5 at

the short end of the 17-85.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

The 17-85 isn't that hot of a lens - you aren't going to see any of the additional minor

resolution that the higher MP count sensor provides with that lens.

As mentioned the IS kit lens is getting good reviews - it is undoubtedly better optically

than the 17-85. (And, yes, I have used the 17-85)

I join in wondering why the 50mm f/1.8? The fact that it is cheap and decent isn't really

enough unless you have some specific use in mind for it that can't be accomplished by

the other lenses.

Noting that you have "lifelong" experience leads me to ask: Are you thinking back to the

film SLR days when a 50mm prime was a typical first purchase? If so, lots of reasons not to

go that route here. First, if you want to replicate the 50mm prime on your new camera you

want a 30mm or so focal length since your new camera's cropped sensor is much smaller

than the dimensions of 35mm film.

Dan

I'm with PF on this. Usually I'd say go for the better lens and the cheaper body. In this case the XSi is going to have a lot of newer better technology that will probably have better metering, LCD, image quality and autofocus. I have and use the 18-55mm IS kit lens and find it excellent. Since the lens gets to 5.6 pretty quickly in the zoom range I tend to use it with the ISO usually somewhere between 400 to 800. Get the XSi with the 18-55mm IS and use it for a good long while until you find that you are reaching for a longer, wider, or faster lens a lot. You will learn a lot more making do with one lens. Maybe buy a flash before you get any other lenses. Eventually you may add another lens or two but don't rush into it. Good luck!

I had the XTi (400D) with the 17-85 IS. I haven't experience of the other kit lens. The 17-85 is a fairly good lens, not so good at the wider end but usable and with a good build and very good IS system. I use it a lot as a travel lens (now with the 40D). I would think the other lens is similar quality. I agree with some of the other comments - apart from the use of SD cards, I think that the XSi (450D) is a great camera and in this case, I'd be tempted to upgrade the body.

Lots of recommendations for a camera which no one has yet tried and for which there are no reviews avaliable! While I would basically agree with the idea of getting the Xsi, it might be better to wait until there is a verdict on what its image quality is actually like and whether it comes with or without bugs,

I just nabbed a used Canon 20D and battery grip off ebay for $500 - now I need lenses. I am thinking the 18-55 IS and the 50mm f1.8 is the best way to go for me, right now. I can get both for around $260 - that leaves me with $40 left for a decent CF card :) Total spending, $800 plus $14 for two knockoff BP-511A batteries (2000 mAh)

I'm also reading great reviews about the 18-55 IS lens, but I need to see some more sample images before I decide between that one and the EF 28-135 IS lens from Canon. That lens at least will also work on a full frame body, just in case I ever want to upgrade in the future.

Jeff,

I am in a similar situation as you. I am waiting

for the new Rebel XSI. The new XSI will have a lot more

to offer than the previous xti model. Be patient if you can.

In the meantime do some homework on Canon EF-S and EF lenses,

also check into Tamron or Sigma lenses until you can

afford a "L".

Best

• 5 months later...

I ended up getting the 18-55 IS off someone that didn't need it (their kit lens from the Xsi) for $157 shipped. I absolutely love it. Very low CA, and super tack sharp! I use my 50mm f1.8 for portraits, and I picked up a Tamron 70-300 f4-5.6 for $55 on craiglist. This 70-300 is actually the softest of the three lenses, but at least I have a lens with some telephoto zoom range.

I've also heard great reviews about the 17-55 IS, but for $800 more they can keep it. It's a lot larger of a lens, and looks more professional - takes larger filters, but honestly I can't see the point in spending that much on an EF-S lens. What happens if I upgrade to the 5D or 5D mkII someday? Then I'll have to try and sell it. So far 2 of my lenses are EF mount, the 18-55 IS wouldn't work with FF.