Where in Florida - D300 kit

staffan_westin

Hi,

I'm travelling to Florida this week and want to buy a D300 + 16-85 + flash etc.

Where should I go? Are there any stores one shouldn?t go to or any dealers one

should visit? I live in Sweden so I want a low price (looking for kind of B&H-

deal) but it has to be a serious dealer.

Please advise if there are any large or smaller dealers to turn to.

If you have a valid credit card, and your hotel (resort?) will verify your credit, B+H Photo may, repeat may, agree to ship to your vacation address. You would have to contact B+H Photo, e-mail would do for a start....

You didn't say where you will be going in Florida...

If you will be in the Miami area, try Pitman Photo (south Miami, on S. Dixie Hwy). Pitman

is the about the only true, well-stocked camera store left in the Miami area, all the others

have pretty much gone out of business. Their prices are not as good as B&H on many

items, but likely the same on the items you'll be buying. Only problem with Pitman (and

many local stores): newly-introduced equipment will be in great demand and you will be

put on a waiting list. And whatever you do, stay away from the many photo-electronic

stores in downtown Miami catering to tourists.

If you will be in the Fort Lauderale/Palm Beach areas, try one of the various Ritz Camera

Centers. These stores are well-stocked, have very competetive prices and are usually

staffed by knowledgeable people. Their large store in Fort Lauderdale, right on Federal

Hwy just north of downtown, is very good and usually has all the new stuff in stock. Their

smaller stores, usually located in the larger local shopping malls, are not as well-stocked.

As already mentioned, Colonial Photo in Orlando is a great store. I'm not familiar with the

Tampa/St Pete area photo shops. Most European visitors don't venture north of Orlando,

but there is a good camera store in Gainesville (Harmon Photo) and one in Daytona Beach

(Beach Photo). Many of the large, electronics chain stores found throughout the state (Best

Buy, Circuit City) now carry many of the higher end Nikon/Canon DSLR's and kits, but

probably not the equipment you're after.

However, I suggest (as others already have) ordering the equipment from B&H Photo (NY)

or Adorama (NY) and have it delivered (overnight, if necessary) to your location in Florida.

Not only will you get excellent service and a good price, but you will not have to pay the

Florida state sales tax when purchasing from an out-of-state vendor...6%.

• 8 months later...