high speed focal plane flash w/nikon flashs

peter_resetz

I have been useing a D1X with a SB28DX in high speed focal plane mode. The

combination will give me up to a 5 flash burst befor the flash has to recycle.

This will also work with a D1 but not with my F5 or F100.

Dose any one know if this will work with a D2X,D2Xs,or a D3, and also with the

SB80DX,SB800DX, and SB600DX flashs?

This is my birds in flight set up, and it give me great stop action results.

Unfortunately, for Nikon only the D1 series will sync at speeds above 1/500th. The D70 will sync at up to and including 1/500th with Nikon flash units. It will sync higher with undedicated flashes. The rest of the Nikon DSLRs will only sync at a max of 250th for full power. Most incorporate the high speed flash mode, but this only provides for progressively lower and lower light outputs, depending on the shutter speed. Here's a good article from Ken Rockwell on this issue. For all the complaints I hear about him, he's still has one of the most prolific photography websites out there with most of it very accurate. It's often his strong opinions, particularly when he hasn't actually done testing on the equipment, that cause people to be offended. Here's the link:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/syncspeed.htm

Thanks Richard.

The set up I've used is a D1X with a Nikkor 300-f4-AF,SB28DX,SC-17,and a remote release. The camera is mounted on one tripod with the flash mounted on a second tripod. The flash is used to add fill light. With the camera about five to six feet from the bird feeder,and the flash about three feet from the feeder,I able to get a shutter speed of 1250-1600 with an aperture of f11-f13,with an ISO of 200. The flash being closer allowed for a higher EV. This set up gives very good stop in flight photos. The resone I asked,was the D1 and D1X have a LOT of moraie[sic]in the birds feather detail, and was hopping that the higher resolution[and cost]of a D2X or D2Xs would resolve this.