17-40L

andrewgy8

The 17-40 4L USM is a wonderful landscape and outdoor lens. Probably too slow for a photojournalist, but if you don't mind using ISO 1600 you can make up for it.

"Has canon said anything about a faster wide angle zoom lens being released?"

Yeah, last year, and it's a jim-dandy: EF 16-35 2.8L USM II.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

There already is one. Canon EF 16-35 F2.8 L $1,400.

Depending on your Camera a better option might be the Canon EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS L. But it will not work on Full Frame Cameras like 5D, only crop bodies like 40D, XTi exct.

I would think you'd want the extra stop of F2.8 zoom, but I'm not a photojurnalist.

Crop of FF?

I use the 17-40mm f/4 on a FF body, mostly for landscape-ish stuff, where it is a great

lens.

It is not so wonderful shot wide open - you can use it this way, but it certainly isn't at its

best.

If you are on crop, seriously think about the EFS 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens - it has pretty

much anything you would want for this sort of shooting in the technical sense: f/2.8, IS,

slightly larger focal length range, fine IQ.

If you are on FF, the story could be different. Obviously the 16-35mm f/2.8 has a great

reputation for the type of stuff you describe, especially if you'll need to shoot it wide

open.

There's also a now discontinued 17-35/2.8L. It was the only ultrawide zoom back in 2001. Late that year Canon split the category into the two lenses now offered... the 17-40/4L and the 16-35/2.8L. The 17-35/2.8 is a little smaller/lighter than the current 16-35, but even used it's more expensive than the 17-40.

If you are using 20D, 30D or 40D, or any of the digital Rebels/Kiss/xxxD, you have another alternative: The 17-55/2.8 IS. As an EF-S lens, it can only be used on those particular camera bodies.

Michael, IMHO you can use a zoom as a great landscape lens, so it'll depend on what you

need to capture at the moment. If you equate width with landscape, then I'd definitely

choose the 10-22mm. It's probably not weather-sealed as well as the "L" glass but I bet it'll

hang right in there in terms of image quality.

"I have a small question to 17-40 users. Isn't 17-40 not wide enough for landscapes etc.

on a 1,6x camera? I'm wondering which one to take 17-40 or 10-22. I didn't have a

chance to test them yet."

I found it perfect for sweeping landscapes on my 10D: the wide end has the aprox. angle

of view of a 28mm lens on FF. To me that's the ultimate wide angle of view: natural

perspective and easy to "see" and compose. On the other hand, the 17-40 is too wide at

17mm to be useful on my 5D. Everything is so dad burn small. 24mm is as wide as I can

stand to go on my 5D.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Puppy Face, Beau Hooker - thanks. I think I'll buy 17-40. Focal lengths of 10-22 sound nice but I guess I would use it only for a few shots on the beach I always wanted to take (you know... with the camera low, near sand and with this nice perspective capturing the beach and the ocean). 17-40 would become my "standard lens" and that would be great because it produces really good quality pictures (contrast, colors). Just if that was 15-xx, then I wouldn't really wonder so much about it. So I think I'll rather buy 17-40, but first I'll go to a shop and check both. If that really was perfect for landscapes for you then that's what I wanted to know.

Thanks.

I was a news photographer for seven years(to me a photojournalist is one who writes as well as photographs which I did sometimes). Almost any lens is good enough as a lot of quality is lost even on the best newsprint. The requirements for me were a lens had to be long enough for sports and distant(perps) head shots: or, wide enough to capture a mob or a group. F4 worked for meon most occasions. In really bad light I used a 50 1.8. I did a lot of low light sports. Nothing darker than a high school end zone where I had to use flash even with f 2.8 and 1.8 and TMax 3200. Editors don't care as long as you bring home a usable picture. I used some pretty inferior lenses when I started. My best lens was a 70-200 2.8 which is now twelve years old and still sharp. I have a 17-40 on a crop sensor. I love the pictures it makes. Example below. I do not like extreme wide angle because of the distortion. It doesn't look right on my large prints.<div>00Otmm-42480284.thumb.jpg.5491f36919fe302bbbe98d1cd3d18123.jpg</div>