Keep or dispose of type-B (non-digi) only lenses?

j_p12

I have several Sigma lenses (400/77, and some wide angles) that are type-B only

(mostly). When I went digital, I had them factory cleaned thinking I would

keep them as additional backup or when I really wanted film. Yep, that has

happened a lot. I know it is an individual decision, but for folks that have

type-B kit and gone digital, what have you eventually done with it? Cheers -jp

I know it is usually a flash reference (B=TTL/ATTL, A=E-TTL/FEL..), but even Canon referred to digital compatible lenses as "A", and non as "B" type when I spoke to them. I assume used as wide generic meaning for non-digital or older units. Yes, it would be incorrect for the E7, E3 etc, so I should retract it for the discussion here.

In any case, what I refer to is lenses that will not work with digital bodies. Sigma had some decent lenses, like the 400 APO Macro 77, that they abandoned, as they have a habit of doing.

I agree with the follow-up posts - the original post does not make sense.

- Canon have never made any EF-mount lenses that are not compatible with digital EOS

cameras. All Canon EF mount lenses fit any Canon EOS camera.

- More recent Canon EF-mount lenses may have improved coatings and other design

features which are more suited for digital cameras, but a) that does not preclude their use

with film EOS cameras and b) does not mean that earlier EF-mount lenses cannot be used

with digital EOS cameras.

- Canon do make EF-S lenses which are only compatible with certain digital EOS cameras.

- With the introduction of E-TTL flash metering, Canon introduced the A (E-TTL capable)

and B (earlier TTL only) naming scheme for Canon EOS bodies. This naming scheme is

pretty well deprecated now, and does not apply to lenses.

- Sigma have had compatibility problems in the past with their EF-compatible lenses, but I

think the break-point was mostly around the time of the Elan 7/EOS 30 introduction, not

digital cameras per se.

- I have no idea what E3 and E7 are about either.

Clearly, it isn't my day to post coherently.

So starting over:

The question is for those folks who have had third-party EF mount lenses, that are incompatible with recent Canon bodies (which are basically the digital bodies). Do you hang on to them, assuming you still have/use film bodies on which they work, or do you find you don't use them at all and get rid of them?

Of course it is subjective, but interested in what people have eventually done. There may be great reasons to keep them around which I never thought of. The incompatibilities in my case are the lack of firmware updates from Sigma, which seems a common issue for older Sigma lenses.

Other parts:

Yes, type-A/B refers to flash, but I am increasingly hearing it referring (generically) to film vs. digital bodies, or probably more likely, newer vs. older bodies, which have a similar chronology. Since I've been checking on lenses, I also queried Canon as to whether any older Canon lenses have compatibility problems with current bodies, specifically 1D, 5D and 40D bodies. I assumed the answer was no, but never hurts to check. The answer was, as expected, that there shouldn't be any problems with new or old lenses. The gent referred to older bodies as A bodies and newer bodies a B bodies (been with the flash group too long?). In any case, I shall cease the use of the term except when referring to flash.

Sorry, shorthand: E3 = EOS 3, E7 = Elan 7 AKA EOS 7 (although the 7 was actually the Elan 7E w/ Date?)

So, apologies for the original query, now restated hopefully more clearly and correctly.

cheers, -jp

JP, have you actually tried to mount the sigma to a Canon digital body? If it goes on and locks in place, then it is an EF lens and will work fine on Canon digital bodies. However! It may not focus properly or communicate well. This is due to Canon proprietary firmware issues. Sigma built the lens to work with the then current bodies and of course Canons programming has changed. Contact Sigma. They should be able to re-chip the lenses. Possibly at no charge if you are nice/willing to plead, whine or beg as needed/ and pay shipping to factory. I love my Sigmas and promise that you will have no trouble selling them even if they are FD mount.

Brad,

What you say is only partially true. I have a superb Sigma lens which still works with the

last of Canon's film bodies, but will not work - except at full aperture - on my 40D, and

then for one shot only (to take a second shot turn the camera off and on). SIgma UK has

said it cannot be reprogrammed, although it did offer me a discount on a replacement

telezoom lens. With the discount taken into account, Sigma's price was greater than the

high street price - some incentive!

The lens in question is the 400mm f5.6 APO HSM. Unless I go back to shooting film it has

no value to me, nor to anyone else who has changed to Canon digital.

I have kept three older Sigmas, a 180/2.8 APO Macro, a 28-70/2.8 and a 70-210/3.5-4.5 APO Macro. I use these on an EOS 3 and a D30. I also have a 7n/33v that they do not work with.

The 180/2.8 is L quality for both images and build and I got a new example for about USD 200 on ebay a couple years back. The 28-70/2.8 has about the same optical performance as the Canon 28-70/3.5-4.5 II but it's 2.8 throughout. The 70-210/3.5-4.5 APO Macro is a little better optically than the Canon USM version and focuses a lot closer when you need it. This was another Sigma that I got new for a song on ebay recently because nobody wants the older ones in the EOS mount anymore.

I'm planning to add an original EOS 1D this year and will see if these lenses work with it when the time comes. Even if they don't, I'll hang on to them as I really prefer shooting slides with the two film cameras for what I do most.