Hasselblad 40mm IF lens: shift / size of image circle?

ethan_pines

Can't find the answer I need in the archives.

I'm looking for a way to have shift capabilities with Hasselblad wides and a digital back. I already own a

Flexbody and a 40mm CFE FLE, but this 40mm has essentially zero room to shift. I understand that,

because of the reduced size of the digital sensor, you gain a little shift. But it's not much, with, say, a P25

back.

Does anyone know how much shift I'd gain by trading in my 40mm FLE for a newer 40mm IF? Doesn't the

IF have a larger image circle? I've looked at the Zeiss datasheet, and it doesn't answer this.

Otherwise the options seem to be an additional system -- Alpa, Silvestri, Cambo Wide, Horseman SW-D,

etc. Very pricey.

Incidentally, if anyone owns, likes or dislikes a Silvestri T30 or Bicam, I'd be curious to hear about your

experience.

Much obliged.

ethan pines

los angeles

Ethan, this may be out of your price range, but from what you seem to be after, I'd be more inclined to go for an ArcBody with the Apo Rodagon 35. I doubt if there is significant image circle gain, if any, in the newest 40mm, over the one you have.

Both the FlexBody and ArcBody are useful accessories, but neither can compete with a fully specified technical camera. They are tools to extend the functionality of an already existing Hasselblad outfit. The ArcBody is more of a stand-alone unit perhaps, as it only utilises the Hasselblad backs and viewfinders. The Rodagon lenses are more exspensive in their special Hasselblad mounts than the same when supplied for other view cameras.

The 40mm Distagon is what it is, a highly corrected, retrofocus lens designed to deliver excellent 6x6 images on film. Have you considered just getting good scans from your film? ... then cropping? a whole lot cheaper I'd rekon.

Many things to consider.

Jenny.

I own the CFe 40/4 IF but have not heard that its image circle is any different from the

standard -- 79.2mm.

If you'd like to shift, have you considered the perspective control mutar? It'll give you 1.4x

magnification, unfortunately but it was designed to shift the wide angle lenses.

http://harrysproshop.com/pcmutar/pcmutar.html

Hope that helps,

Brad

Image circle = 77.78 mm. But Jenny's solution (Arcbody and 35mm Rodenstock) is undoubtedly better. Keep your FLE, if you can, and buy a system really designed for shifts and/or tilts.<br>

IMO, you have to calculate the shifting abilities on the basis of the "negative" or sensor size, not the lens.<br>

Your sensor is not a full format I guess ? Keep the 6x6 format in mind, and calculate the difference with the digital sensor dimensions. And you will know exactly the shift abilities of your lens. <br>

Of course, the PC Mutar allows tilts, some 16mm movements up and down. but you will lose one full stop.<br>

Thank you, everyone, for your responses. The ArcBody is a very interesting idea.

By the way, regarding larger image circles, it may be the 50mm CFi (with 70mm filter size)

that has the larger image circle than the standard 50mm (60mm filter size).

Thanks again.

ethan pines

Alpa offered the 38 mm Biogon that is on the SWC for use on their cameras. Not in Hasselblad mount, since the Biogon has no mount, but still: a Hasselblad lens on a larger format MF camera.<br>But though the image circle seemed large enough to stretch a bit beyond 6x6, its use was still limited on the Alpa, because the image circle wasn't quite that large after all.<br><br>The difference between CF and CFi 50 mm Distagon is in the filter mount only. That the one on the CFi is larger in diameter is only because the one on the CF is too small to allow use of (more than one) filters without fear of vignetting. The wider mount helps to keep the filter rim outside the field of view. The image circle of both lenses is the same.