AF-S lenses. Extra motor?

Apurva Madia

The motors built into the lenses are much faster, and much quieter. But then, I really like that my D200 can also drive the screw/geared AF on my older 'D' lenses. I see it as win/win, and would be mighty peeved if I was looking at D40/D60-ish situation, which would greatly reduce my choices of a lot of Nikkor and other excellent third-party lenses.

AF-S (motor in the lens) works better but takes a bit more space in the lens. It is faster, quieter, and hunts less since it has no slack. Manual focusing may be better or worse with AF-S lenses than AF lenses, depending on the specific lens. In AF-S lenses there is no mechanism for the body motor to focus the lens.

I have not had any of my AF-S lenses die on me ... yet but I heard that AF-S lenses have shorter longevity than those without. I have no scientific data to prove it.

Having said this, I love the convenience of AF-S because, in general, their responsiveness is just more pleasing than non-AFS lenses. It's all about your application.

AF-S kicks butt. I just went from D40 to D200, and I have a 105mm micro D-lens which is great, but with the D40 it had no AF ability. On the D200, the 105mm has no AF-S ability -- that is, no ability to manually change the focus while the AF is engaged. I'd gotten spoiled by being able to do that with my 300/4 AF-S, and it always seems weird to me when I try to do with the 105mm and can't.

The in-lens motor take priority because it is faster and more efficient. Note also that the

body motor is a tiny portion of the cost of a D3/D300/D200 but, as a cost-cutting measure,

Nikon is now shipping entry-line cameras (D40 and the likes) that lacks the body motor --

pressumably on entry-line camera that motor was a more significant portion of the cost.

--ben

"...why should owners of these cameras shell out extra for a lens motor when their camera has one of its own?"

> Hi Apurva,

I see no difference in focusing speed between the Tokina 12-24/4 (which has no motor) and the Nikkor 17-35/2.8 (which has both a motor and is a stop faster). The Nikkor 50/1.8 is also lightning fast despite not having a motor. Larger screw driven zooms though start to feel clunky compared to their AF-S counterparts.