Nikon SP

I currently have an unhappy SP which is suffering from a broken rewind shaft. Everything else on the unit

is full functional.

I am looking for a DEFINITIVE answer to whom I am to send this to for repair.

I have investigated a number of avenues here in the US already and so far am not satisfied with anything I

have found. his is a valuable item, and I am serious about its repair.

So any suggestions internationally or otherwise would be very much appreciated.

I would think that any competent machine shop should be able to machine a new rewind shaft. They could tell if the original is chromed brass, steel, or stainless steel. They might not be able to chrome plate it.

I'd suggest SK Grimes, since they are the best known "photographer's machinist".

Pete doesn't do all repairs. He declined to look at my SP, which has a fowled prism in the finder. I would also like to have mine serviced but in almost two years I still have not found someone. Most offer a basic cleaning. Joe as recall in my email to you on rangefinder let me know if you have success in finding someone who repairs the SP, good luck.

Is it possible that the rewind shaft is the same as the Nikon F? The bodies, except for overall size because of the prism and mirror box, were identical in layout. If that is the case, then you can probably find a junker F and have the rewind transplanted.

True, Ken, Pete doesn't do all repairs, but I think that's mainly because not all repairs can be done economically. For example, repairing RF/VF separation/deterioration in a SP (a common problem) may be technically possible but it's more feasible, cheaper, & faster to simply get parts from another SP. I think the same would be true of the SP's rewind shaft, especially if Ian is correct & that part is easy to find from the much more abundant supply of Fs (unlike the RF).

Joe: just out of curiosity, have you contacted Nikon themselves? Since they have recently

produced revived commemorative versions of both the SP and the S3, they may have some

excess parts, and obviously have someone who still knows how to put them together (but

it may mean a vacation in Japan for your camera).

For the actual work: You might also try John van Stelton at the Focal Point in Louisville,

Colorado, He mostly specializes in lens coatings and such, but has done work on my Leica

bodies such as RF alignment.

Contact Info here (and I notice he has moved a mile or so from his old location since I was

there last): http://www.focalpointlens.com/fp_intro.html

• 2 weeks later...
Roger I have left a message on April 1st and April 3rd, 2008 as of April the April the 5th I have not had a return phone call. Messages were left on both days request a return call on a Nikon SP repair or referal to someone who does repair Nikon SP, mine has a rangefinder blockage issue.

• 4 months later...

I called APC, and they said that they couldnt do the specific repair needed on this unit.

The rewind mech on the SP is a geared mechanism, it bypasses the viewfinder. There is no way into the body other then through

that rewind shaft and so there is no way into the body. Suggestions have been to use resin glue or to wrap wire around the shaft

and 'hope for the best'.

The SP may have a romantic kudos but from a service standpoint is is up there amongst the other badly designed cameras.

Im still looking for ideas, and possible places. Thank you thus far.

• 1 month later...