Question for Lowwpro slingshot 200 owners.

sanjay_chugh1

I am trying out this bag and I think I like it.

One question I have is (in case I am missing something):

When you sling over the bag, you can only grab your camera. You can't get at

other lenses easily or at all. Is that correct?

From what I've read, I thought some people said you can sling it over and change

lenses. But then you would have to open the camera compartment all the way, to

grab another lens, wouldn't you? Doesn't that add to the risk of something

falling out?

So do you have to take the bag off if you want to change lenses or grab

something else from the camera compartment?

I think I may just be too small a person for any backpack type bags (or I need

to learn to pack lighter), but I just want to make sure I am using the bag

correctly and to it's potential before I make my decision to keep it or return

it. It certainly seems to be a very popular bag.

Thanks,

-- Sanjay

Hi Sanjay,

I've been owning the same slingshot for almost two years now - and i confirm that this is the best all around bag you can get. i tried other models, bigger, cheaper, smaller, and this one beats them all in practicality and the volume it can carry.

sure, there might be problems with changing lenses, but with what other bag you do dont have this (one-shoulder bags put too much load on one shoulder only, but they might be better in this respect). The slingshot can carry a lot of things. i sometimes put two slrs, and three lenses, and a flash...i can also fit two tlrs, two lenses or a flash, and an old compact...this baby can carry! slinging comes really useful when you pack your stuff inside so that you can reach it easily. for instance if you use two lenses, or maybe three you can make your compartments in such a way that two additional lenses are easily available - think that the back when you sling in rotates for 90 degs - and then everything changes.

its a nice bag - looks good on you as well and i would deeply recommend it!

regs, alan

Whilst wearing the bag you can take the camera out or get at the top compartment (which is big enough to hold things like memory cards, batteries, maybe a small lens). To get at the main storage compartment, where your lenses would be, you need to take the bag off and put it down. This is unlike a shoulder bag where you can get at anything without putting it down. But with the Slingshot you can carry a significant weight of equipment distributed so you don't notice it at all and access at least some of it. The only other way you could carry so much so easily is a backpack, where, of course, you can't take out anything at all without taking it off.

Sanjay, Same bag here for a couple of years. It's easy to pull the velcro dividers open without fully opening the cross-flap when the camera's removed. It's pretty easy to change lenses this way depending on how you pack them. Just hold the velcro flap back against the divider while pushing it back into position and then press the flap back against its mating surface, works like a charm.

HTH,

Pete

Sanjay,

I got the bag for christmas and had the same problem / question. The solution I found was to re-orient the velcro dividers. I basically took them out and put them in 'sideways' from their original orientation, so that when the bag is slung around my chest, and I open the camera flap, the lens insert sections are exposed to me for access, and if I were to put the bag down flat to open the flap all the way, I would see the sides of my dividers. This seems to work pretty well for me.

Actually, if I had one complaint about this bag it would be that it isn't intuitive for me to drape it across my shoulders from the left side (instead of from the right).

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have questions.

- les

Thanks guys. I find it silly sometimes that I get so indecisive about bags. I just wanted to make sure that I understood if I was using the bag correctly or if I was missing something.

I do like the size of the SS 200 compared to something like the computrekker which I was also looking at. Being a small person 5'4" and light ~110 Ibs I like to keep things light and small.

I am flying to Mexico with the family tomorrow and wanted to get a newer bag to make things easier. I want to pack most of my gear to have it their with me even if I may end up not using it all.

The gear will be Canon 40D, 70-300 f4/5.6, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55 and maybe the 50/1.8 and also the 580 EX II flash and off course batteries, cards etc.

I am thinking this bag ought to get all this to Mexico and then I can lighten up the load when I get there when I am walking around or something. I was also thinking of packing my topload if I just want to walk around with a single lens or am on the beach with the kids etc.

I don't vacation a lot so I don't have much experience on what I should pack, how much I should take etc.

I would appreciate any advice.

-- Sanjay