PC or Mac? For PC's I prefer Western Digital. Of course you will hear about Seagate, Maxtor, and a few others. All hard drives can fail. PC World and Maximun PC magazines don't seem to favor any particular brand. Probably because all of the companies advertise with these magazines!

Seagate is the ONLY brand w/ the 5yr warranty (Maxtor doesn't), and even the Free Agent

and Free Agent Go drives have 5yrs. We have 2, 500G Free Agent drives as a mirrored raid

array and have had no performance issues yet.

While all drives go bad eventually, we have not had problems w/ any Seagate drives, but

have had many failures from others brands.

Also - for the 500G Seagate, seeing it on sale for $150 is not hard. Some Sam's clubs

even have it for $150. I've seen it as cheap as $120 or $110 at Office Depot and Best Buy

Just don't drop them. Storage is a tough thing, and short of punch cards there really aren't fail safe methods to store data. I've had lacie's fail on me. Nothing's perfect, just get any good drive and BE CAREFUL. Two couldn't hurt--mirrors, backups...maybe even burning to CDs.

FYI your operating system makes no difference...

I agree any HD can have a failure. But my experience with LaCie was an awful one and I vowed I'd tell everyone the hassle I had w/ the company. I'm just grateful that all my stuff is backed up multiple ways (DVD's AND other HD's.)

As for what I use..I've put many Seagates into use with no problems, with varying capacities up to 500gb.I'll stick with what works and avoid the LaCies.

LaCie doesnt make drives; they place HDA's in a package you buy. The warranty won't replace your data. So after HDA failure you get another blank drive several years down the road to make you feel good. There is no long term data on 500Gig exteral HDA's; a flaw; bad luck; the HDA dropped; stolen; flooded with ruin your data. Having data in two places on two hda matters more than something that cannot be characterized. Its also good to have two flashes and cameras for a wedding and extra flash cords.

As was mentioned, Seagate offers a 5 year warrenty. At least they will replace the drive if it fails in 4 years and 364 days. You are still out the data on it depending on how hard it crashed.

If you buy a preassembled external drive, check out the warrenty length. Sometimes they shorten it. You can always buy your own external case and then buy a drive to put in it and get the longer warrenty.

Just to be a bit contrary, but also to tell the truth, to talk about the reliability of drives purchased in small numbers is meaningless. Even assuming that anyone who posts here has the data, which I doubt, it wouldn't apply to individual purchases. Any such data would apply only to large numbers. If you needed, say, 25,000 drives, then it's possible that one model might be better than another. Outfits like Dell and Apple, who use a lot more than 25,000 drives, have such data and surely use it when conversing with their suppliers.

Instead, the way to think about it is to design a system for yourself that works regardless of the reliability of the drive. Use two or more in a well-designed backup/restore scheme, and you don't have to worry about a failure. (Rare for well-known brands that are handled carefully, cooled, etc.) If a drive fails while it's under warranty, so much the better. You get the replacement and feed it into your system.

To say it another way: You can't control the reliability of a drive much (maybe a little, as I said, with a few precautions, but not much), and you will lose drives from time to time. But, there is no reason to EVER lose any data, which is the real goal.

Frankly, choose anything between Seagate, Samsung or Maxtor but AVOID Lacie. We have had

a lot of hard luck with Lacie at our workplace. Even many have given good suggestions, my

rule of thumb is have multiple hard drives and multiple backups. Looking for extended

warranty like (5 years in some cases) is good but what about the data on them? No company

is going to restore that data so choose whatever you find it cheap, just have at least 2

different brands. (I have Samsung and Maxtor working for 3 years without any hassle till date,

even if I have toppled Samsung a while ago)

Heat is the HD's worst enemy (other than being dropped). For external drives, I only use enclosures that have fans. They may cost a bit more, but Other World Computing has a number of options and I have had excellent luck with their "Mercury Elite Pro" series of enclosures.

The most reliable hard drive is: 2 hard drives. One hard drive *will* fail, eventually.

Personally, I like internal a lot better, fwiw. And, I only count on them (the 2 of them) for the duration of a project, then it's off to (quality) optical media. Again, double copies, one at home, one elsewhere.