meter and focus separately

jeret_slack

See p 152 of your manual. Use CF 4 set to 1, so that focus is controlled by the * button, and AE lock is controlled by the shutter release. Aim the camera at the corner metering target using spot/partial metering, half press the shutter and hold, reframe, press * to focus, then shoot.

Actually, if Jeret is using Manual mode as stated, he doesn't need to hold the shutter half pressed while reframing to take the shot. Just adjust the shutter and aperture with the shutter button half pressed while aiming at the corner target. Since shutter and aperture won't change once set in manual, you can release the shutter button at this point. Then, as Mark U says (with CF4=1), reframe and focus using the * button.

That's one thing I miss from my EOS-3, the ability to have the spot meter follow the focus point. Although you couldn't get to the extreme corners, when on a tripod, it was often easier to meter a different part of the scene just by selecting a focal point over your metering target, then change the focal point to where you actually wanted it to take the shot. One more reason to get a 1-model DSLR I guess.