Help me decide on a Wide Aperature lens for shooting in low light at weddings/events....

heather_dillon

I have a Nikon D40x and I have the Nikkor 18-55mm Af-S kit lens and a 55-200mm

f/4-5.6 VR lens. I am searching for a third lens for shooting weddings and I

want a nice wide-aperature that I can shoot in low light. I am looking at either

the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 HSM lens or the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 HSM lens. I would

prefer one of these two since they will autofocus with my D40x and they are in

my price range. I have about $400-$500 to spend. I am also considering a Nikon

50mm lens that I would have to manually focus.....any suggestions???

MF is too slow for weddings, so I'd scratch the nikon 50 1.8 off your list. I'd suggest the Sigma 30 1.4. There is also a 50mm version coming out soon. Tamron is also releasing an AFS version of their 17-50 2.8 soon, and people seem to like the current version.

I'd go with a fast prime. Certainly you would appreciate one of the 2.8 zooms, but it might not be fast enough.

After not very much deliberation, I ordered a Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 SP AF Di Lens for my 5D. It arrived today and I ran a few quick tests (camera on tripod of course) at various apertures and focal lengths. I've heard a few sorry stories about this lens so I was keen to see the results. At the same time I tested my 24-105mm F4 L at the same settings as the Tamron. I was very pleased to find the Tamron nice and sharp at F2.4, and sharper than the 24-105mm at F4 and F5.6. Contrast and colours appeared about equal, and focussing is spot on (although a tad slower and noisier than the Canon). I am pleased. My advice, consider this lens in the Nikon mount. It is very good value for money in my opinion. If mine was below par, I would have flogged it and gone for the 24-70 F2.8, but I'll stick with this one for the next while.

David is right you can only use AFS lenses on the D40. Building off of the D40 is hard. There is a big jump from f1.4 to f2.8. I would say the 18-50mm because atleast you could do some portraits at 50mm and at 18mm it would do well during the reception.

The 30mm is fast at f1.4 so if you need the lens for the church and can use a flash during the reception get the 30mm and use the kit at 18mm during the reception with flash.

If your going for all available light then you will need the versatility of the 18-55.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the advice so far. I already have a backup camera - a d40x also. I don't mind sticking with the AF-s lens for now, as I know they will be releasing more AF-S options - or at least I hope!

Anyway, I think that I will go with the 30mm f/1.4 for now!

Thanks again for the responses....

Heather, the Sigma 30 is very good when it is calibrated well to suit your bodies. Be prepared to send it to Sigma (who do very well with their warranty turn around times and effectiveness, IMO) for calibration though. One in about ten are reported to be a little off the mark.

Sorry about the suggestion to get another body, just made a short sighted assumption that you did not already have one for some reason.

Out of those that you are considering, i would get the Sigma 30 F1.4. I just recently purchased this lens and absolutly love it. It's AF speed is very similar to that of the Canon 50 1.4. Not super fast but plently fast for all practical purposes....certainly faster than most. However, my favorite lens, and i've got a ton of them to include severral canon L's, is the Sigma 20MM F1.8. On your D40, it would be a 30mm F1.8. It does not have HSM but the focus accuracy is always spot on and mine is one of the sharpest lenses i own. Never anticipated this when i purchased it believe me. It has a minimum focus distance of 7.9". Great for close up wides and produces great bokeh IMO at close wide open distances.

The Sigma 30mm F1.4 has proven to be a very sharp lens so far, however, the AF, like the canon 50 F1.4 AF, seems to be a little inaccurate at times when used wide open. I validated this through the 45 degree ruler test over and over. The sigma 20mm F1.8 however is always always spot on.