Best SD card for Mk3

michael_ziegler2

I just received my 1D mk3. One of the many great features is the ability to

have both a CF card and SD card operational and being able to record different

file types to each simultaneously. I put raw on the CF and medium Jpg on the SD.

My question is: what is the best SD card to use with this camera. I use a

Sandisk 8mb Extreme III for the CF.

I would get the same model, but in SD. You've picked a good card manufacturer and model. If you're only going to ever use the SD card for JPG, and the CF for RAW, than you might as well get a smaller SD card than your CF card. However, if I was in your shoes, I'd get the largest Extreme III (or IV) I could, for each, since I truly believe that you can never have too much memory or too much storage (as long as money is not a factor).

I don't know why these aren't more popular... but I use the Sandisk SD Plus. The thing folds out to hood directly into a USB port... no adapter needed. I like them so much I actually got a cheapo SD to CF adapter and use two SD Plus cards in my 1D.

I have never bumped on transfer rates for these... I don't shoot tons of consecutive shots but I am sure they are fine for general shooting...

A 2 GB card would take about 3 minutes and 25 seconds, at 10MB/sec. If that were an 8 GB card, you would now be looking at 13 minutes 40 seconds. 16 GB, nearly half an hour. I'm much happier only waiting just under 14 minutes for my 16 GB cards. ;-) Then again, I've also contemplated cutting my capacity in half so I could double the throughput to 40 MB/sec.