Olympus E-510 for macro photography

eugene_karolinsky

Hello,

I need an advice in Olympus E-510 suitability for macro photography. I am

taking photographs mostly of butterflies (but also of other small creatures,

flowers, etc.). Currently I am using Nikon Coolpix 8700 (you may see a bunch of

my photographs here: http://kharkovbut.narod.ru). I plan to purchase my first

SLR now and thinking about Olympus E-510, mostly because of live preview

availability (this seems to be very helpful for my purposes).

If you ever use this camera for macro photography I would appreciate your

opinion. I am especially interested in the following:

1) Which (macro) lens do you use? In particular, have you ever used Zuiko 50 mm

macro lens? Or Zuiko 35 mm macro?

2) I prefer to use auto focusing (to save time for a shot); does it work fine?

3) Is the depth of field enough for taking pictures from a short distance?

Thank you,

Eugene

The macro Zuiko's (35 and 50) are quite spectacular, but can also require you to get pretty close to the subject to get real close.

One additional thing to consider is to use a long focus lens, like the 50-200 f2.8-3.5 or even the 70-300 f4.5.6 along with the extension tube EX-25, which turns any lens into a close focusing lens. Using a long-focus lens will allow you to both get up close and keep yourself back further away and not disturb your subject. I'm not into bug photography, but I do own the 70-300 Digital Zuiko and EX-25 tube. Here are some images I've shot with that combination and an E510..

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/gallery/4408664_UVyiw#261707628_ZFNAJ-XL-LB

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/gallery/4436849_9rVBV#260716618_2Ebm3-XL-LB

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/gallery/4436849_9rVBV#260724703_UaLdQ-XL-LB

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/gallery/4436849_9rVBV#260716609_Be2KB-XL-LB

I have recently bought an E-510 with double lens kit. I am planning to buy the 50 mm macro objective very soon. The kit objectives can focus at a reasonably close distance. If you want to photograph whole butterflies these may be all what you need, or maybe the 70-300 mm objective to get more working distance. You would be doing mainly close-up photography. If you want to get really close like photographing just the eyes or head, or small insects, I think you will need a macro objective. The 50 mm macro objective probably will not be very handy for living butterflies as the working distance between lens and bug will be small. Olympus has published a lens roadmap, which includes for later during the current year the release of a 100 mm tele macro lens. So it might be worthwhile waiting until full specifications are released before buying the 50 mm objective. The 50 mm objective seems to be a very good objective and at f:2.0 should be a very nice objective to work with, for many uses from macro to portraits, but probably not the best one for small "shy" bugs.

Another thing to take into consideration is that at close distances you will not be able to use the camera built-in flash or even a flash mounted directly on the camera flash socket, as the objective will cast a shadow on your subject. You will need some kind of flash bracket or to hold the flash with your hand.

I haven't yet tried seriously the kit lenses, at their closest focusing distance. I am planning to do so, and planning to use the FL36-R flash unit off camera connected with a cable to the camera flash socket. The E-510 does not have wireless remote flash capability, the E-520 or whatever the successor of the E-510 will be called will most likely have this possibility as the just announced E-420 does have it. Anyway, image stabilization in the E-510 should be very useful if you attempt to take close-ups wihile handholding the camera.

The 510, and even the 500 are great for macro even with the kit lenses. I think my flickr account is listed here. It has a bunch of 'macros' taken of butterflies, bees etc shot with the 40-150 kit lens and filter "macro adapters". +1 and 2 if i remember. They came out great despite my forgetting to force 100 iso. (some were shot at 1000 and despite that still for the most part turned out well) Most were shot at a distance all were handheld. I have a tokina 250atx macro manual lens now that cost nothing that will do fantastic macros. You can buy cheap macro tubes on ebay for $10. Even an old om macro stand for around $80-100ish.

You wont go wrong buying a zuiko macro lens but not because they are 'for macro'. Rather because macro specific lenses tend to be outstanding lenses. But id suggest a zoom macro in the 100-200 or more range. The camera you currently use is an outstanding one. Top of the prosumer line and nikon along with oly have dominated macro for nearly a decade.

Realise before you go DSLR that to get the equivalent focal range you'll need to go up to about 400mm. Though you'll find a 2.8 lens on a dslr captures a LOT more light than a 2.8 on a prosumer p&s.

I'd suggest buying the 510 and kit lenses , a macro +1,2,3 adapter set . After that depending on your cash id suggest a ring flash, a long manual macro lens (any brand + adapter) in the 200-300 range and you'll put out astonishing macros. PS if you want the same range right out of the starting gate you might grab the sigma 400 or 500 zoom. Be interesting seeing what you can do with them in macro too.

I recently purchased an e510, my first DLSR, and have been thrilled with its use for macro. I've shot with OM's for 30 years and easily adapted my legacy macro equipment. For field use I use my trusty Olympus Auto Extension Tube 65-116 with a 30+ year old 50 1.8 and their new MF-1 OM adapter (which allows use of legacy lenses. If you're not familiar with the 65-116, it is basically a hard cased bellows that allows your magnification extension to zoom in and out. I just checked in eBay and you can get the 65-116 for under $10. WHAT A DEAL! I've updated my firmware so IS will work with it. Yes, it is manual focus, but that's not a problem when I do macro. I also set the Anti-Shock to keep mirror vibration to a minimum. For additional light I use the Fl-36 with a diffuser. The system's not fancy, but it does a great job.<div>00OtBv-42459884.thumb.jpg.fe6d36ea60e3ea8cf7407422762c802f.jpg</div>

• 2 years later...