Would the Panasonic 14-50mm lens be a good choice for the E3?

rick_robinson2

The Vario-Elmarit 14-50/2.8-3.5 is a fine lens. On the E-3 body, you'll turn off its OIS

system and let the E-3's in-body IS work.

The 12-60/2.8-4 is a good lens too, I have not yet seen a direct comparison between the

two to compare the imaging qualities. The 14-50 has superb imaging qualities.

Whichever one you like, or have, use. :-)

Godfrey

It sure should provide enough resolution on the E-3 and beyond, or its Leica name would have been squandered on it. I would use its OIS and turn off the IS on the E-3 body, since the more specific the better.

But yes, the 12-60mm would be a better fit on the E-3 due to faster autofocusing, wider angle and longer reach. Besides, it would not have redundant image stabilisation.

I think the choice would depend on several factors: 1) what do you already have? If you are

building a system from the start, both are good choices, although the Zuiko 12-60 will

take advantage of the E-3 superior focusing system. 2) How much are you looking to

spend on the system? Currently, in USA prices an E-3 body is about $1600 and the 12-60

is about $850.

3) How complete a system will you need? I always have the need for 2 bodies in my work.

Therefore to me, an E-3 @ $1600, and a used Panasonic Lumix w/ Vario-Elmarit ($800)

gives you the lens you want, the E-3, and an extra body for attaching to either a Zuiko 50-

200 (about $700 currently) or a Zuiko 7-14 ($1350). Thus, you get 2 bodies and a non-

duplicating range of lenses from 7mm to 200mm at the least price. If you opt for a new

Vario-Elmarit with the Lumix body, it would be $1100 instead of $800.

However, if you are looking for a single body with "do everything" lens, then the E-3 with

12-60 is perhaps the ultimate answer.