Kenco 1.4 Teleplus pro 300 Teleconverter

stephen_lilley

I have been using this TC with my D200/ Nikon 300mm AFS FS combo for 6 months

or so. Generally it works very well,but there has always been a bit of

rotational play between TC and camera resulting in momentary loss of autofocus

and the Fee warning appears in the camera display.When I apply a little "turn"

to the lens, functions are returned.Has anybody else experienced this problem?

Would I have a similar issue with the Nikon TC? Lastly I noted somewhere on

forum that the Nikon 1.7 TC was recommended for this setup, is this the case?

Regards Stephen

I use the 300/4 AF-S with the TC-14E and with the TC-17EII. There is always a little play - not enough to loose contact and display an error message though. I have experienced the occasional problem with both converters though - aperture closes down or loss of AF - usually fixable by turning the camera (D200) off and on again.

I have the Kenko 1.4x 300 Pro and there was always a sloppy fit between the converter and

lenses. That said I never had a problem with it not making a proper electronic connection. I

bought a Nikon TC-14E and this greatly improved the fit between my lens and converter. It

is now quite snug. Shooting with a 500mm M/F lens the Nikon has also improved image

sharpness. This is most obvious when cropping images.

Stephen, ditto with the rotation play with both D2h/1.4TC/80-200 f/2.8 and also mounted on the D70. Very frustating as a number of key shots have been missed when needed.

TC 1.4 still useful at times and worth keeping in the kitbag. To work round the problem, I twist and take the weight from the F mount which can help but up to 90% of shots. Not that good for under pressure work but shooting fairly stactic subjects it's fine.

I only paid ?40 GBP new so never expected that much anyway. It is the TC and not the 80-200.

Cheers, Pete.

Happy shooting