Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8 L USM (IS or no-IS)

photolma

If price wasn't an issue would you chose IS or non-IS ?

Camera : Canon 40D & Rebel XT (350D) as a backup

Purpose : Hockey & Soccer (exterior)

Let me know why you would choose one instead of the other and if you use which

one of them.

Regards,

Luis

ps. Undecided yet on which one to buy...

On the other hand, I bought the original version right after it came out around 1995 and still have it. I see no reason to change as long as I can still get the super sharp images that it still delivers. Mind you the one I have looks like it's been through several wars (wish Canon sold touch up paint for white lenses) and when you shake it you can hear something moving inside. It's also a little difficult to get it on and off the camera these days. For all that it still gives me the image quality that I paid for.

I'm waiting for some reviews of the new Tamron 70-200/2.8. If the image quality is close I might be interested because the Tamron is less of a burden on these old shoulders and for the close focusing ability. If the image quality is rather weaker at the long end, oh well. I realize that sooner or later my old Canon will go into retirement and I have to consider a replacement for her. Of course the best replacement may well be an exact replacement but we will see.

I have the IS version of the 70-200mm f2.8L (love it). If price is no object, I see no reason

to buy the non-IS lens. IQ differences are essentially theoretical between all the four 70-

200mm zooms and each will deliver stunning results with proper technique (and of course

interesting content, lighting, timing, etc)!

I also have the non-IS 70-200mm f4 lens (I bought it long before the iS version came out,

otherwise I'd probably have bought the IS version). I won't change it for the new IS one as I

really like it and have the f2.8 version with IS for low light. Oddly enough, I use the f4 lens

considerably more because I tend to use this focal length in bright light and prefer the

handling of this lens. I wouldn't want to part with either though - when you need f2.8 and

IS, you need it.

I originally had the f2.8 and bought the f4 version for redundancy (I work away on location

and need back up), I never imagined the f4 would be my go-to zoom for this focal length

but it really is a joy to use, light, small and manageable.

Luis:

"I have read somewhere that the IQ of the IS version is not as good as the non-IS."

We hear that sometimes. In some cases there may be a very small measurable differnce. By mearsurable I mean super geeks with scopes and equipment in a lab enviroment. But no one can tell a print made from one Canon 70-200 lens to another. The image quality of all four models is so close that it just doesn't matter. All are excellent.

As for IS, if you shoot only sports and nothing else, maybe you don't need it. But even if that's the case the 70-200 has IS Mode 2 which is for panning. It only works up and down not side to side. This could be useful for following a hockey player and blurring the rink background with a slower sutter speed.

If you do anyting else, IS is very handy. It's simply the difference between needing the tripod/monopod or not. Within reason, if you get down to slower than say 1/30th you will still need support and you'd turn off IS like for night or landscape shots.

So, my vote, if you have the cash get IS.

If you use the lens only for outdoor sports in good light a non-IS f/4 would be fine. The narrower DOF at f/2.8 would not be very useful

shooting active players and any other advantages of f/2.8 would be very marginal.

On the other hand, if you will use the lens for other purposes as well there is really no liability (aside from price, and you said not to worry

about that) in getting an IS lens. It _is_ useful in certain situations.

Another way to say this: No matter if you choose the f/2.8 or f/4 versions of the lens, there is really no reason _other_ _than_ price to not

get IS

Dan

Thank you all for your replies.

After testing (renting it for a week) the 70-200mm f2.8 IS L USM doesn't give me many advantages when taking hockey pictures.

Took close to 3K pictures this weekend with the IS (mode 1 and 2 for panning) and only 10% of the pics came out looking nice. Last night I went out to give it a try (hockey night again) with the IS turn-off and 75% of them (600+ pics) are great and would be good enough to be sold if I ever start a photo business.

Since the IS takes some time to "stabilize" in either modes the player is already gone out of the frame or the image is blurred since I am following the action.

Thank you all again for your input, but the non-IS will be my next lens and save $600.00 dollars in the process that will be put for something else in my photo bag. I know that the non-IS is not weather-proof but neither is the 40D.

Luis

• 2 months later...