I recently had a problem with my D300 during a shoot. After about 100 shots my

camera stopped working and it indicated that my battery was dead. Very strange

as I just charged it the day before. I quickly changed to a fresh battery and

shortly after it did it again. I powered down/back up and it was fine. This

happened a few times during the shoot.

Has anyone else run into this?

Thanks,

Tom

It's not unusual to see problems once a product gets into wide distribution. While it is annoying to have a new "toy" fail in some way, the main issue is whether Nikon (or any company or individual) responds appropriately.

Inspection is not the answer. In a practical (i.e., statistical) sense, a 0.1% failure rate would be catastrophic in the market place, but even 100% inspection would not detect each incident prior to shipping. The actual failure rate is far lower, which suggests that quality is designed into this gear, not culled by inspection.

I had a similar problem but it was due to a generic EN-EL4 battery with the grip. The regular battery in the grip worked fine. Once I changed to a genuine Nikon EN-EL4a battery, the problem went away. Sounds like you may need to have your camera checked. Have you considered trying a grip on it?

As Wayne points out, others have reported lens issues. Clean the contacts on your lens(es). Does the problem happen with all your lenses?

• 4 years later...
<p>I do not remember if I already put up this post. So here goes. I have been dealing with this problem since last november.I have a nikon D-300 with nikon batteries in the camera and MB-D10. I shoot alot at the zoo. I use a nikon 80-400mm lens. After about 150 photos or so I was getting a false low battery indicator. I turn the camera off and back on again and the batteries read full. It started happening throughout the day. So I switched out lenses with my 50mm 1.4 took another 300 photos and had no problems.I also removed the MB-D10 pack inbetween to see if that was the problem and it was not.The lens is under warranty so my camera store sent it to nikon for repair. I went out and used my nikon 300f4 with 1.4TC and took about 1000 photos and no battery issues.When my lens returned I went out again with my 80-400 and at about 75-100 photos I got a false low battery indicator. Turn the camera off and back on and it clears. I tried a couple more times and it kept happening. I removed the 80-400mm lens and put my 80-200 2.8 nikon on and finished out the day shooting another 1000 photos total.Took the lens back to my camera store and they sent it back to nikon.This lens went back to nikon 3 times after the 3rd trip about a week after they have it nikon called my camera store and wanted me to contact the nikon rep. I called him explaining what was happening. Another week is approcaching and the lens is back at my camera store. Nikon said nothing is wrong and its may camera.I dont think they will look at it again so the warranty is only so good. While I waited for the lens to return the final time I borrowed my buddies nikon 80-400 mm lens and he and I went to the zoo. I shot 645 photos with no battery issues. I think that after 3 times at nikon something else should of been done. I did everything to isolate the problem and I believe its the lens. Has anyone heard of this happening?</p>