Nikon MC-DC1 or Nikon ML-L3?

sandeep_kumar10

Hi...I am a Nikon D80 user and want to select between wired MC-DC1 and

wireless ML-L3...these are both rather inexpensive, but I would want to buy

only one of these. I do not see myself doing a whole lot of self potraits,

and the main objective is to reduce camera shake and achieve long exposure.

Thanks for your help !!

I have both and find the MC-DC1 is by far the most useful - the IR release, as David says, needs line of sight to the front of the camera, which is a pain for anything other than self portraits!

The only drawback with the MC-DC1 is the short length of the cord - but you can get longer ones off-brand. http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/product.php?productid=16683&cat=278&page=1

An additional feature the MC-DC1 will give you is the ability to auto focus by holding the button half way in, just as you would do with the shutter release button on the camera.

I don't know if the D80 is different from the D70s, but when you use the ML-L3 with the D70s, you must use the commander dial to set the camera to the wireless shutter release setting before each shot. The wired remote does not require you to change any settings when using it.

I like using the wired remote when taking portraits of kids as you can interact with them and get more candid expressions since your face is not directly buried behind a viewfinder. It is easy to catch them off guard for a more natural looking smile or expression. You are less likely to capture a posed or fake smile.