How about Bobcats?

derek_thornton1

Derek, here in Western NY and Nothern PA the bobcat population is getting higher every day. I have never tried it, but I know several hunters that have had success calling bobcats. If you try it, put some type of scent attractant out to hold them in postition. Several hunting articles that I have read, say that these are one of the easier animals to call, just need to be patient and have the wind in your favor. Good luck!

Jeff, please do keep me posted. If for some reason this thread gets lost in this very busy forum, LOL, then I will email you. I always keep my eye open for them. Today I tried for beaver and ended up getting a couple keepers of another otter. Big deal for me cause this was my first otter in my county. I have lived here for 20 years! I still hope to get the beaver tomorrow.

Chuck, sounds good. So where do you get a bobcat call? You have just given me a great place to get info, hunting magazines. Bound to find something. Cant understand why one would hunt such a creature, but.

Thanks for the help folks. Keep it coming. I guess you all noticed the awesome bob photo on the photo.net homepage yesterday?

derek-thornton.artistwebsites.com

Derek, Finding a call is easier than you think. 2 main choices. A mouse squeeker is a good one, if you don't have a hunting store nearby WalMarts should have them. If not look for a cat toy that you can squeek. Also a rabbit distress call. If you find something that is called a varmint call, chances are that will be a rabbit in distress. Using these types of calls could get you any type of predator. Fox, coyote, etc.

Good luck

Bobcats are quite common in Florida and often found in urban areas. Their appearance however is a little different than those found in the north. The ear tufts are missing, there is quite a variation in coloring and the hair is not nearly as long.

If you wish to entice them to your property, always have water available and close to the woods. Put bird seed out for ground feeding birds close to the water as well. Palmetto rats, which are small and quite nifty looking will come to feed. Of course these little fellow are on the bobcat's diet. If there is a drought, many creatures will come to the watering place.

Yesterday a bobcat came through the back yard, headed up to the feeding area and we watched as he caught a little rat. Talk about smooth.

The problem of course is not knowing when one will appear, so have your camera ready and at a higher ISO than normal so you can catch the action as he will be going from light to shaded areas.

Joan Nixon<div>00OmEW-42254284.jpg.1fa1e81c9751c42825b91589c55b247b.jpg</div>