Looking for some 75mm lens insipration

Sanford

OK, so I bought a 50mm lens for my digital slr because it was cheap, high quality, and seemed like a

good idea at the time. The truth is, I'm having a little trouble finding inspiration with the 75mm equivalent focal length, so, I thought who better to turn to but people who use the most famous 75mm

lenses, those made for the Leica M. Would appreciate looking at some photos done with a 75mm.

Very nice, Lutz!

The 50mm lens on a DSLR has the angle of view of a 75mm lens on a film camera, but it is still a 50mm lens.

If you take a photo at the same f-stop from 5 feet with the 50mm on the SLR, and from 7.5 feet with a rangefinder and 75mm, the primary subject would have the same frame, but the background will look different, both in terms of perspective (based on the moving of the camera) and in the apparent DOF (based on the magnification of the background).

Looking at true 75mm shots for inspiration may only lead to frustration, since it would be hard to replicate the look with a 50mm lens.

Thanks Vivek and Albert. <p>As for the DOF issue, I humbly disagree. Have a look at <a href="http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html">this DOF calculator</a>. Basically, the DOF is very similar between a 75mm lens on a full frame sensor (enter: Canon 5D) and a 50mm lens on a 1.6x crop sensor (enter: Canon D40) - *IF* you open the 50mm by one stop (compare f2 on the latter at both, 3ft and 10.5 ft distance, with f2.8 on the former). So, you should be able to mimic not only the perspective but also the shallow DOF of the 75 if you can afford to open the aperture by one more stop. You will, of course, not be able to mimic the f1.4 of the 75, but in none of my above pics the aperture was wider than, say, f2.4.<p>

When it comes to the other properties of the Summilux 75, however (dare I humbly mention the word "bokeh" in this context...?), you will be hard pressed to come up with another lens capable of imitating it's unique qualities.

Hmm, as far as the exact amount of f-stop difference is concerned, I stand corrected. The above mentioned DOF calculator operates with distinct circles of confusion (0.03 for the full frame vs. 0.019mm for the APS sensor)... Hence, it's more likely that the aperture has to be opened by 2 stops, rather, to achieve a similar DOF with a 50mm lens on a small sensor.

<I>Hence, it's more likely that the aperture has to be opened by 2 stops, rather, to achieve a similar DOF with a 50mm lens on a small sensor.</I><P>

And that only addresses the DOF... perspective will never be the same because to get the same frame around the primary subject, you must move, and moving changes perspective.<P>

Just getting into digital myself, I took my 75-150mm Nikon Series E zoom on a film SLR and set it to 75mm, and my DSLR Nikon with 50mm lens, both at f/4.0, and shot several compositions from the same spot. The images are not even close to the same. Except for the main subject, the rest of elements are rendered completely different. The background of the 50mm DSLR shots is at a reduced scale (with more included in the frame) and sharper.<P>

This made me rethink my joy of haveing a "75mm f/1.4" based on my getting a DSLR and a fast 50mm. The 50mm is good, but it is no 75mm.

The 50mm F1.8 Nikkor lens, although an excellent lens, need to be stopped down a bit to

show it's excellence. When I had a 50mm Summicron it was pretty much as good as it was

going to get even at F2.0. To me, this is Leicas main attraction, the ability to shoot great

photos at 1/15 of a second wide open.

This is taken with a 50mm Lens on a Nikon D300 which gives the 75mm point of view. A little tight but I guess I can always take a step back. The out of focus areas of some of the photos are not as smooth as I would like. BTW, I would recomend staying away from that Active D Lighting - ruins some photos by throwing a lot of noise into the shadows. Better to correct after the fact in Photoshop. Believe it or not, this a house is in a VERY high rent district...<div>00OgvG-42125684.jpg.6361f27473557a92b96d52832555ff6a.jpg</div>

Albert, as far as your use of "perspective" goes, I humbly disagree. Perspective is solely dependent on where the focal point of the lens is placed. If you don't move the camera, "perspective" is nailed, no matter which focal length you are using (with a zoom lens the focal point may be a bit more to the front in respect to the camera body as with fixed focal lenses, though). Thus, if you set up a tripod shot and shoot one frame with a 75mm on a full frame sensor/emulsion and another with a 50mm on a 1.5x crop factor chip, you should get not only the very same perspective in both shots, but also an approximately similar crop.<p>

What _will_ be different is the DOF (unless compensated according to the above). Plus, the rendition of OOF areas as opposed to areas within the DOF will largely depend on lens design, even among lenses of the same focal length, used for the same format.<p>Anyway, I'm open to be proven wrong. Please post your samples.

<i>To me, this is Leicas main attraction, the ability to shoot great photos at 1/15 of a second wide open.</i><p>

Well, Sanford, that's their USP and you won't get it with any contraption/adapter, anyway. R-glass on an EOS might get you close... But as far as framing and focus separation is concerned, a fast 50mm lens is the best bet. BTW, I do like your picture, you might just want to crop it a bit more and make it lighter to make it more readable. I discovered that cat only at second glance. Cheers<div>00OhEV-42133284.jpg.764c5459ebef4685215528ff7cbfd636.jpg</div>