Sigma 120-300 2.8 or Nikon 70-200 vr 2.8

d_morrison

I use both the 120-300 F2.8 and the 80-400. The 80-400 is a great carry around lens for nature that will get you images that you might not otherwise get. It is a little slow but you quickly learn to prefocus and turn on the focus limiter switch and it's OK. The 120-300 is great for sports like football, especially at night. Set the 120-300 to F2.8, jack up the ISO on your camera body, and your're good to go.

I dont think 200 is too short. I use my Minolta 200/2.8 APO HS G on an A100 and it works pretty well for sports and even small birds at times. Its as fast as it gets focus-wise, its incredibly sharp, with beautiful colours and bokeh... even better, it fits in the palm of your hand (light and small :). It would be better on an D80 I'd think, I'd prefer it on a caemra of that build anyway... its meant to have a better VF too.

Is there not a similar lens like this by Nikon that you could consider?

• 2 months later...
I use the Sigma 120-300 for wildlife and it is great. It's versitile and produces good images. It's weight without IS/VR requires a monopod/tripod, and the short hood allows for light to hit the front glass element more than it should - ruining the occasional shot. The new version comes with the upgraded tripod collar and has improved lens coating. If you use a camera with a 1.6x sensor factor, slap on a 2x converter and you get a 960mm 5.6 lens for under $3000 with minimal distortion.