craig_supplee

I was in an antique store the other day and came across two view camera

outfits. These both were in their original cases complete with tripods. One was

a black 6 1/2x8 1/2 plate camera with a Wollensak Rapid Rect. lens with 3

different f stop scales, but the lens did not look like it had more than just

the front and rear element. The other was a black 8x10 plate camera with a

Wollensak lens, but I couldn't make out anything else. Asking price is $325.00

for the 1st one and $395.00 for the 8x10. Does anybody have any idea what brand

of cameras these might be, and do the prices seem right? Thanks.

Craig:

Assuming the lens originally came in that shutter, the three scales would indicate the lens is a triple convertible: one scale for using both cells, one scale for using only the rear cell, and one scale for using only the front cell (usually mounted in place of the rear cell. Many, but certainly not all, RRs have identical front and rear cells, and would thus not be triple convertible. Was there any indication that the lens was a Wide Angle RR? These had different front and rear cells.

If you come across a black view camera, you always have to suspect it might be a Seneca. See: http://www.fiberq.com/cam/seneca.htm Note the design of the rear frame hinge. That tends to be a good way to identify a Seneca.

Charley

Craig, the Rapid Rectilinear (Dallmeyer 1866) design is as shown in the useful link above, and normally two achromatic doublets placed symmetrically about the iris. The convertible types could be used in normal configuration with both cells in place or you could unscrew either the front or back cell to make a lens with different aperture and focal length hence the 3 scales. Of course the converted configurations were only an achromatic double so less correction.

With the cameras the half plate size may be more difficult to get film for if you were thinkin of usin them while 8x10 is a more practical size.

Any more info on the cameras for identification?

I had looked at the cameras on the above referenced site, but just did not dig deep enough. Had not seen the black version of the Seneca. This store is 1 1/2 hrs away, so it will have to wait until another weekend to get back there for more info or pics. My original plan was to resell these if there was any chance for profit, but it doesn't look like that at this point. Thanks to all for your help.

Craig: I think I know what store you are talking about. I have seen both of these cameras and have tried talking them down in price, but they won't budge. They have been sitting there for over a year.

Have you seen the 300mm Heliar in the other showcase? That one has been sitting there for close to three years.

I passed on buying to re-sell several times.