Wedding advice

matt_erck1

My brother is getting married in a little bed and breakfast this month. He

doesnt have a photographer, but that isnt what I'm trying to do.

I just got my Hasselblad kit early as a graduation present from medical school

and would like to take some pics at his wedding. I have just shot my first two

rolls through it but have yet to get the prints back.

I'm planning on bringing my 503cx, a 50mm CF T*, a 150mm C T*, a Sekonic light

meter, a tripod, and 2 A12 backs. I'm also bringing my Canon 10D, 50mm, 150,

15-30mm, and 550EX. If I can find a way to safely bring my 4x5, I may bring

that for fun.

I'm planning on bringing a few rolls of 160 and 400 color and B&W film.

The wedding is indoors and I wish I had more time to learn the Hasselblad but

unfortunately this is it. I've been reading the Hasselblad Manual as well as

Ansel Adams The Negative.

I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to get the 550EX hooked up with the 503cx?

Is there any advice other than to just and enjoy myself and not worry about the

shots?

Matt

No idea if you can use the Canon flash in TTL mode with the 503 CX.

I would certainly try to organise a way to shoot TTL with the Hasselblad.

It is a bit risky to use equipment you have not seen any results from for a one time event like a wedding.

That is what weddings are supposed to be.

So have your Hasselblad and the filmbacks at least checked by a qualified technician.

Maybe stick with the Canon for the most part of indoor photography and only use the Hasselblad outdoors for a group picture and some nice shots of the newly weds.

This also saves you from the TTL thing at the last moment.

Forget about the 4"x5". It will look impressive but will take to much time.

Stick with the Canon indoors. Leave the 4x5 at home. If you have time for some quick shots outdoors, the Hasselblad with some 160NC will give you the most beautiful results you have ever seen. Natural light only. Watch the contrast range of the light. Look for some softer light. All you'll need is one roll. Do a few back-up shots with the DSLR when you are outside.

I agree with everyone above! Use what you are familiar with (the Canon 10D) and leave the 4X5 at home. Use the Hasselblad for the main group photos, but back those shots up by also shooting the group shots witht the Canon 10D. If you are unfamiliar with the Hasselblad, you will be fumbling around too much and miss some great shots if you're using it as a main camera. Besides, the only photos that get blown up bigger than 8X10" at a wedding tend to be the group shots or bride and groom together/alone.

Your 550EX will not work TTL with the Hasselblad. I have one, but rarely use it. If you can just choose an aperature and use it on automatic (like the Vivitar 283)--you should be alright. Remember to use any flash way above or to the side of the lens to prevent red eye and that "on camera flash" look.

Good luck!

Also a thought, if you feel like doing some fill flash stuff outside, just set your flash 1 stop under your actual aperture and shoot. It will fill in some of the facial shadows and keep the eye sockets more natural but not be too noticeable. Just to be clear if you set the lens on f8, set the flash on f5.6 and to the correct film speed.

Hi there

Enjoy your new blad at the wedding. If you do decide to get carried away at the wedding and take loads of pics remember that each roll is limited. Go to the wedding with all your backs pre loaded so you don't miss an important shot. If you get an order of service or are familiar with the quieter non essential parts of the wedding then this is a good time to change your rolls of film for the next stage. Finally, don't forget to take out your dark slide before your shot or you won't be taking anything. It's so easy to forget. Have a real blast

I would be reading up on wedding photography rather than "The Negative". Frankly, things happen so quickly in a wedding that you don't have time to think of zones and stuff when shooting. Even focusing quickly enough becomes a problem if you don't know what's going to happen exactly when, and where you should be positioned perfectly to capture it.

That's why a good weddding photographer makes $$$.

If I were your brother, I'd ask if I want to have good wedding photographs for a (maybe) once-in-a-lifetime event.

If I were you, I wouldn't take a camera I didn't know how to use without reading the manual.

You can't use the 550EX on the 503CX. If you are going to use the 503CX for ceremony/no flash shots, or shots in even shade outsideyou will be OK, but otherwise, you will need a flash. A cheap Vivitar 283/285 would work fine.

However, I would also suggest you limit what you bring and hone in on what kind of images you expect to take. If your brother is depending on you to get some of the shots, be sure you have the gear and know how to get what he wants. If he isn't going to have a pro, you can, of course, do as you please beyond that, but if he is, you will definitely be underfoot juggling that much stuff around the pro. Even if he doesn't get a pro, things move fast at a wedding and you will have no time to play around.

Thank you all for the great advice.

Again, my roll at the wedding is not as a wedding photographer. I'm bringing my gear because I enjoy photography and, as this is a small occasion, I will be lucky enough to shoot some when I feel like it.

To the member who commented on reading the manual, I hope you aren't referring to the Hasselblad 503cx manual as it is severely lacking. Apart from describing how to attach a back and lens, it is utterly useless.

Thank you for the comments on the 550EX, that was information that wasn't readily available online and you have probably saved me hours of google searches. I think I will probably forgo the Vivitar at this time, as that would just be an added complexity that I could fix by using my dSLR.

I should say, you can't use the 550EX in any kind of automatic flash metering mode. You can use it in manual mode, using the partial power controls, but then you have to do guide number figuring, make a cheat sheet and consult it a lot on the day. Again--I guarantee you won't have a lot of time to figure...

Hi Matt

Check out E Bay and enter hasselblad. You may find a blad flash bracket for sale. I got mine there as well as a vivitar 283. I know there was a bracket on the UK site a few days ago. Well worth the money if you get it. I think I bought mine for about 26 pounds

Alan

Matt,

You need a flash with a Thyristor to control the output of the flash. The 550 does not have this feature since it is designed to work with a Canon's metering system that is built into Canon cameras.

Flashes with Auto Thyristor are the Vivitar 285 and the Sunpak 383, both are under $100. There are a lot of others but these are a great value and easy to use. They have a small sensor that shuts off the flash when it senses it has put out enough light. You have to configure it a bit, taking into account your film speed and f-stop, but it is not too hard.

Good luck!