out exquisite. Outdoors, the imaqes are terrible. They come out looking like

I used a cheap camera. I shoot with a 50 1.8 lens. Mostly shooting manual

shutter speed at 200, aperture 11, iso 100. Of course, I make sure the

exposure is correct. I also shoot on AV and TV depending on what I wish to

achieve. I do make sure that my lens is stopped down enough to achieve depth

of field and clarity. Do you think the camera is defective? I certainly

would be no difficulty to return it at this point. I have two weeks. Thank

you.

Interestingly enough, I was going to make reference to that in my original question, but I thought it would be too long winded. I had a rebel XT for two years with the exact opposite problem. Outdoors it took exquisite pictures. Indoors it left alot to be desired. I am sure losing confidence

I also used a canon 17-85IS on this 40D. Worse results. I do not want to use a tripod because I always shoot handheld. In order for me to keep the camera, it has to work for me handheld. I cannot run around shooting parties and events with a tripod.

NACHI, are you getting what we're saying here? No one can give you any useful and

objective help if we cannot SEE the problem. Your vague description ("exquisite" versus

"terrible?") isn't enough.

Given a couple photos to look at there is a very good chance that someone here can help

you understand the nature and cause of the problem.

Absent the photos we might as well just flip a coin - we can't help you.

Dan

I am not sure if your serious Gaetano but the only reason you would test using a tripod it to

rule out camera shake. By no means does this have anything to do with how you shoot. I

never use a tripod either.

"Always take pictures handheld"...therein lies part of your problem. IS doesn't make sharp pictures idiot proof.

What about autofocus? Are you using this correctly? Have you even tried manual focusing?

What about camera settings...RAW, JPEG?

Applying any sharpening?

Try using a tripod, manual focusing. If anything is wrong, it would seem more likely the lens that the camera body.

If the camera take exquisite pictures indoors with flash then there is little reason to think there is something wrong with the lens. I have not used IS so I am not sure if that could be part of your problem.

I just bought a 40D. No prior digital experience, but many years of film camera experience. Before purchase I downloaded the manual, printed it, studied it. In addition, I bought a book just on the 40D and studied that. Certainly, I did not absorb everything, but my photos from the start were extremely sharp.

Take a deep breath, relax, go outside and take photos using a tripod...without IS. If you do not have a tripod, try taking photos at a high shutter speed, and manual focus.

I personally think that about 90% of the questions like this are user error.

One thing I would suggest trying is go outside set up on a tripod and compose a well

balanced shot using Av. use the timer so you dont bump it and keep upping the Aperture by

a full stop. Also check the ISO your using. If its high outdoor shots will look very flat and

washed out. For outdoors it should be at 100 to 200.

So you have a UV filter. No problem if you also have a lens hood. Without a hood, the filter

might be causing lower contrast, flare, etc, which could make the pictures look 'terrible'.

As a separate topic, why does Canon supply lenses without hoods? The hood is just about

essential to get the best from any lens, yet Canon expects us to buy them separately, at least

at non-L level. Daft.

>>"Do you really think that my UV Hoya filter had something to do with making the pictures look hazy and soft?"<<

If you are shooting outside in bright light with out a lens hood. Any filter could cause an issue. Non multi coated would be much worse.

I point this out because the 50 f1.8 has a front element that is set back from the front of the lens. This helps with flare. However, when you screw on a filter on the front of it, the glass is very easily affect by side light and flare. Again if the filter is not Multi Coated, it will that much worse.

Try the tripod, and take off that filter in the sun. Again, lots of things to take into account. I look forward to seeing your pics.

Jason