1D mark III problem AI SERVO mode only?

matt_peters1

Hi,

I may be going to purchase an Canon EOS 1D MARK III body.

I have a question regarding AF issues this body has encountered.

DO the AF problems effect only the AI SERVO mode or have there been problems with the AF in

ONE/SINGLE SHOT mode as well?

As I will never use AI SERVO mode, my concern is the AF in ONE SHOT mode and that it is as accurate or

more accurate than the MARK II N's ONE SHOT AF.

I would appreciate any input to this question.

Thanks,

Matt.

Here we go again. This horse has been flogged to death; ground up for dog food; consumed; excreted; used as fertilizer on grass that another horse ate, who was then flogged to death...

The one shot AF on this camera is absolutely excellent, maybe the best I've ever used. It has

an array of the more sensitive cross type AF sensors and literally snaps into focus ... even

with lenses like the 85/1.2MKII it's visibly quicker.

Plus.....my Mark III is in the serial numbers that supposedly contain the problem, and my AI SERVO performance has been flawless. I do intend to send mine in sooner or later to get the upgrade (fix), but I find it hard to let it go for a couple weeks when its working just fine!

Make the splash...you will be thrilled with the camera!

In my experience with the 1D3, yes. One shot AF works fine. Servo AF works extremely well

in dim light. It's only in bright light that the AI servo problem is sometimes apparent. After

you read Canon's note linked above, you should also read <A

HREF="http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-8740-9068-9168">Rob

Galbraith's report</a> on his comprehensive testing.

Marc Williams - Franklin/Mich. , Mar 12, 2008; 08:37 a.m.

Here we go again. This horse has been flogged to death; ground up for dog food; consumed;

excreted; used as fertilizer on grass that another horse ate, who was then flogged to death...

Amen - there is plenty in the archives, but I think it's a done deal at this point and no issue.

look at this link from Rob G. http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-8740-9068-9168

I looked at all the images that Rob captured and stored at the end of the article at 100% view. 1D Mark III (with all the fixes) has lots of out of focus frames where the 1D Mk II N is dead on for most of the frames. Check it out for yourself.

I am waiting until canon really fixes this problem. This camera is meant to be used mostly in AI Servo and if it can not perform as well as its predecessor camera namely ID MK II N, then I am not going to pay $4500.00 for it. I am an engineer myself and refuse to support any product that has defects in areas where the company claims its product has the strong points.

"This camera is meant to be used for sports and wild life photography."

Not at all.

It's design makes it perhaps THE most capable sports camera - and fantastic for wildlife shooting - but those two things certainly don't define "what it's supposed to be used for".

I would suggest that the 1D3 has evolved into perhaps what could be described at the worlds most VERSATILE camera and as such has drawn in many other groups from pro-sumers upwards that wouldn't have traditionally used a 1 series camera. Mine has been used for sports photography - but it's also been used for weddings - and landscape - and casual shooting - and studio work - and wildlife. That's the beauty of it - it's an exceptionally strong camera in ALL of these areas.

Although we've all read the RG article (I think by now even my vets sisters mother's new boyfriend's cat has read the article), I might add that the ones we hear most from are the ones who aren't having anywhere near the amount of trouble that RG article suggests that we should be having - evidenced for me by the fact that just last weekend I shot 412 photos in what should have been the worst possible conditions for the camera according to "the article" (bright day - SERVO mode - blue background - fast moving objects) and only had 11 out of focus - and my camera hasn't even been fixed yet!

Hence the best suggestion I can make is "go try one for yourself". A collegue of mine did just that - his response was "AF problem? WHAT AF PROBLEM!" (and then he bought one - shot the same event - and had an equally high keeper rate). I asked my dealer about what happened at their end with regard to the on-going opera - he said (in summary) "sold around 20 - 1 came back - the one that came back did have an AF issue, but the AF was doing totally weird things (ie "an AF issue", not "the AF issue").

The RG article spooked me enough to cancel my order - I was talked in to keeping it - and in retrospect the whole SERVO AF thing turned out to be a total non-event. If in doubt, try one for yourself.