Which screen from focusingscreen.com?

tom_barrance

I want to get a split image screen for manual focusing a D40. www.focusingscreen.com have lots of

different models at varying prices. Can anybody with experience suggest which are best? My preference

would be for split image with microprism collar, but brightness is more important.

If the screen is bright, you can`t focus as well. If brightness is the most important, stay

with what you have.

You will need fast lenses to manually focus a split image or micro prism. Then the

prism angles need to be cut optimised to the focal length and lens speed. Thats why

Nikon has 24 screens for the F. They can compromise and make it for 50mm 5.6. Then

you loose accuracy. Set it for F2.0, and half gets dark at 4.0 or 5.6.

I don`t think you will be happy with a kit lens and split screen and you certainly do not

want to be changing screens and lenses. It will work if you switch to 24/35/50 2.0

lenses.

When one chooses to go manual (as I have as well, on my D60), basically one also chooses to go slowly and deliberately.

So, I just bracket the focus. A magic screen to make it easier would be nice, but the DX format makes it unlikely, in my opinion, that any screen will be fully satisfying.

Can't wait for an affordable FX DSLR. I'm sure not putting much money in DX lenses. They are just a stop-gap measure.

john

Choice of focusing screen depends on what you need it for. If you don't know, you are best suited by a general type screen - split image surrounded by a micro-prism area on a matte field.

The manual focus screens that are made for crop cameras are actually modified screens from full frame cameras (often 35mm film). Since they are cut down the size of the split image is actually about the same as they were on 35mm manual focus cameras but since the viewfinder is smaller the split-image occupies a relative larger portion of your view.

Given the parameters above you have three type of screen to choose from, canon ec-b, nikon k3 or minolta x-700. I don't have any experience with the canon screen but I can compare the other two side by side (but they are not from focusingscreen.com so can't comment on that).

All split image screens will black out in the center when used with small aperture lenses (it has to do with the angle of the light). The minolta screen will be black at about f/5.6 (it depends on the ambient light level) while the nikon can do f/8 and a little beyond at the same light levels.

The minolta is also a bit more intrusive because it is brighter in the center and the split image isn't matted. The micro prism is also coarser. I prefer the minolta screen but that's if you only intend to use fast manual focus lenses and never put on slow zooms (f/4 is the slowest you want to go).

Split-image screens also affects metering a little because they are almost without exception slightly darker than the af screen. They also screw up spot metering a bit. But if you use matrix or center weighted the difference will probably not be more than 1/3 or 2/3 stop (overexposure). You can easily compensate for that with the exposure compensation on the camera.

For general use I suggest you get the nikon screen.

That's leaves you with the choice of grid lines or not. I suggest you get them even if they clutter up the viewfinder a little. They are very handy to line up your camera with horizons, doors or whatever features you have in your scene.

So to summarize - get the D40 K3 Focusing Screen (Grid).

Good luck,

Peter