Delay

bob jr.

Lately I've notice that there is a delay at times on my 580 Mark II slave when

using either the STE-2 or another 580 as a master. The delay can be around a

second or so (there is no way that the flash goes off while the shutter is

exposing the sensor). What might cause this?

And another part of this question:

What is the best material/agent for cleaning flash contacts?

Hi Robert,

This is normal behaviour if the 580EX II is in a different slave group to another unit - and you use the test button.

In a normal situation there shouldn't be any delay though. Is the issue occuring when shooting, or just when testing?

Cheers,

Colin

You may want to try clearing your settings. Not sure what setting could cause this, but worth a try IMO. So, are you saying that the photos show no sign of light from the flash, yet it does fire with this "delay". I got to ask, what setting are you useing? How well does it do mounted on camera in normal mode? Have you tried manual mode?

Jason

Colin, I was shooting inside in a fairly medium sized room.

Mark: That is a possibility, but not likely. This same thing happened before when I was putside shooting by the waterside. A friend of mine was taking my picture the the delay thing happened that time as well. I think we were using the STE-2 at that time.

Jason: Yes, I mean exactly that; the photos showed no sign of the flash at the time of exposure, but the flash went off after that none the less. Do you mean clearing the settings on the flash unit? That sounds like a good idea. How does ione do that for the 580 ex II?

Good question. I would have to look at mine when I get home later. If you are useing one of the newer bodies that supports Custom Function controls to the flash from the camera, ther may be a reset function. I use the same flash on the 40D but can not remember if it has that. The only other way I can think of is old school. Look at the manual see what are all the default setting are and go through each one and set to default or just verify that each one is were it should be.

You never said if the flash did this on camera or not. Is it only in the slave function? That is the impression I get from your post. Also, just how long has it been going on. This is a real long shot, but, have you removed the batteries and let it set overnight or aything. If not, I would do it tonite. Could clear a glitch. I say that assumeing it has just started to happen and is not intermittant.

Jason