How important the removable hood?

frankiep

Richard,

It would help the discussion if you had actually stated what screens are you talking

about. I was not aware of any screens coming with self adhesive shims. Never heard of

your screens before. The most discussed screens are the Maxwell screens, which Bill

Maxwell recomends are installed by a technician.

In any event, my point was not that "it can't reasonably be done" but that "although easy

to remove - do require setting at the correct height, something that is beyond most

users". With respect, a 0.2mm focussing window is a very tight margin for your average

user to discern and I for one would want to have the absolute certainty that my 'flexes

where correctly adjusted.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a prism for my 2.8 80mm Rolleiflex. But I seldom use it.<br>

First, for the weight. When putting it on the camera, it becomes so heavy and unbalanced that I have many difficulties to use it.<br>

Second, IMO, the TLR philosophy is to look at the world through a folding viewing hood. The camera has to be placed on the waist, not close to the eye.<br>

The composition and framing with a TLR can be only conceived with this simple viewfinder. Of course, I don't criticize people who use a prism. But then, the Rolleiflex is used as any other camera, not as a Rolleiflex.<br>

Note that a photography taken with a Rolleiflex TLR can be easily recognized, not only by the square format, but also by the position of the lens when the shutter was released. Waist level is waist level, and eye level is eye level. This can't be changed.<br>